last reply
6 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
So, here we go...

I've spoken to a few people recently who had no idea that there is a current competition running for April.
It is posted in the forums I know, but these individuals are not regular forum dwellers like some
What are your thoughts on a new banner section for the front page for site announcements?
It could be used for:

** Competitions: The launch of new ones, winner declarations etc.
** Lush Publishing announcements
** Anything else Nicola and the team think noteworthy

Couple of examples for you:

Quick site mock-up:

If I don't put my raging creativity to use with new ideas, God only know what mischief I'd get up to!
The devil makes work for idle hands.

Your thoughts?
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
go Liz go!

I rarely find the contests with ease in the forums ... I imagine it's even more difficult for a newbie.
Matriarch
0 likes
We usually have a banner for each competition, rotated in where the "Featured Members" section is. This time it slipped through the net.

It wouldn't be a bad idea sharing that space for other announcements.
Clever Gem
0 likes
I'm all for ideas and creativity but I think completely taking it upon yourself to redecorate should be run past the boss a bit before posting it in the forum, maybe its just me, I find it disrespectful. I see the aim and the good, but come on, this is Nicola's brainchild, she's not daft.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I think it's a good idea for the competition links to be more prominent, generally, but I don't like the extra banner, sorry. Incorporate it into the site topmost banner on a slow roll if you needed to, maybe?

Maybe cut the amount of featured members in half, speed up the feature time, and use the rest of the space for site ads? I like the book ads as they are, as it's always the first thing that draws my eyes on the home page. I don't know why. Maybe one eye has a lazy drift and takes the other one there with it.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by crazydiamond
I'm all for ideas and creativity but I think completely taking it upon yourself to redecorate should be run past the boss a bit before posting it in the forum, maybe its just me, I find it disrespectful. I see the aim and the good, but come on, this is Nicola's brainchild, she's not daft.

Hi CD,
Oh, I'm sorry you feel that way. I didn't mean any disrespect at all.
Sometimes it's just easier for me to Photoshop something up as opposed to explaining it in words.
That way it tends to avoid the inevitable:

- How big were you thinking?
- Where would it go exactly?
- What would it look like?
- ecetera…

It is more of an aid for everyone else than anything; to allow people to visualise what it is exactly that I had in mind.
That way, perhaps it's easier to garner a better consensus of general opinion?
I'm sure Nicola knows I'm only trying to be helpful - she's a big girl and can make her own mind up.

Quote by shylass
I think it's a good idea for the competition links to be more prominent, generally, but I don't like the extra banner, sorry. Incorporate it into the site topmost banner on a slow roll if you needed to, maybe?

Maybe cut the amount of featured members in half, speed up the feature time, and use the rest of the space for site ads? I like the book ads as they are, as it's always the first thing that draws my eyes on the home page. I don't know why. Maybe one eye has a lazy drift and takes the other one there with it.

That's fine
It was only a suggestion to see what everyone else thought.
I wasn't actually aware of any front page notifications for things like the competition so this seemed like a good idea at the time.
I like the idea of sharing the 'featured members' banner actually - good shout!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by crazydiamond

I can assure you Nicola knows how to selectively and kindly tell people when they are overstepping the mark.

I think the banner is a good idea to bring back, I didn't know there was a competition on either and it just so happens that I'm in the market for new authors to follow so ill be making my way over there now.
Lurker
0 likes
I like it! I think it looks great.