Marmite: YES or NO?

32 votes remaining
Hell Yes! Smear it all over me baby! (11 votes) 34%
Meh. (4 votes) 13%
Come near me with that jar and you're dead! (6 votes) 19%
What the fuck is Marmite? (22 votes) 69%
Matriarch
0 likes
You realise most of the world outside of England will have never heard of it!

It's one of the few sources of vitamin B12, outside of red meat (good sources of B12).

Since moving to Australia, I actually prefer Vegemite, but it unfortunately doesn't contain B12.

Both are very good at curing mouth ulcers. Strange, I've not had one for years. Maybe it's the vegemite I put on my toast most mornings.
Lurker
0 likes
I love it, I prefer it to Vegemite
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've never heard of it
CurlyFries
0 likes
I know what it is. Never had it.

I think I'll just stick to peanut butter on my toast.
Lurker
0 likes
Weird thing, I hate Marmite, but love Twiglets. Very odd seeing that Twiglets are just bits o' wheat dipped in Marmite.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Here in the USA we haven't a clue as to what this stuff is.

Sorry.teTrI9Uog0vt92mt
Mazztastic
0 likes
Quote by GingerKitty
Weird thing, I hate Marmite, but love Twiglets. Very odd seeing that Twiglets are just bits o' wheat dipped in Marmite.

Same here!!

The Linebacker
0 likes
Marmite? When I saw this I thought it an insect that bit you on the butt...a cousin to the Termite or something

What does it taste like?
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by nicola

It's one of the few sources of vitamin B12, outside of red meat (good sources of B12).

Since moving to Australia, I actually prefer Vegemite, but it unfortunately doesn't contain B12.

Both are very good at curing mouth ulcers. Strange, I've not had one for years. Maybe it's the vegemite I put on my toast most mornings.

Bloody good point Nicola!
I thought it might have been a little more international than that.
Doh!

Quote by gingerkitty

How about Twiglets? You foreign folk have these?

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Marmite? When I saw this I thought it an insect that bit you on the butt...a cousin to the Termite or something

What does it taste like?

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I haven't tried marmite, but I have tried vegemite back when I was in Oz. It is definitely an acquired taste and not one that I think I'd be able to easily acquire...
If marmite is similar, then I think my tastebuds will take a pass.
Lurker
0 likes
hate marmite. hate it hate it hate it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by lizzy94

How about Twiglets? You foreign folk have these?

You can keep the marmite but that picture just cost me $20 which is the cost of getting Twiglets shipped to Boston USA.

One of the things about being an ex-pat is you end up paying a fortune to buy what are essentially cheap comfort foods in the UK. The most ridiculous being paying for imported Heinz Baked Beans in Boston (the US version is horribly sweet because it is full of added sugar).
Clever Gem
0 likes
I love it, I prefer the texture of vegemite as its not as sticky but both taste good to me, especially with cheese on toast!!
Lurker
0 likes
Love it! Especially on old Gouda or buttered toast! The combi of the two is divine as well!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
With Kiki on this one....buttered toast & marmite with a sweet cup of tea!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hot Buttered toast + marmite - delucious!!! ;-)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
will just have to trust all of you as I will probably never have the opportunity to try it..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Never heard of Marmite or Twiglets. I have heard of Vegemite from this song!! Wondered what a vegemite sandwich was, but I guess not enough to ever find out!

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Everybody knows Vegemite is way better than Marmite. It certainly does cure mouth ulcers, but that first little dab on the ulcer stings so bad it makes your eyes water. Oh, and it's yummy too.
Clever Gem
0 likes
sets up underground marmite smuggling ring for lushies who are curious.... orders welcome, state your size.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Yes!.. Love Marmite, A good source of vitamin B12 too.. Good for ya.. but not to much.. like anything... Have it in moderation!!
0 likes
I adore marmite. On buttered toast or crumpets, or cream crackers or or ........
I just love the stuff.

But I can't stand twiglets. They taste like over-cooked or burnt marmite.
Nor do I like the marmite flapjacks and marmite chocolate that I've been bought in the past. Some things are best left in their pure form.

Vegemite is a poor subsitute
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by CurlyGirly

I think I'll just stick to peanut butter on my toast.

Yes, I've tried it ... definitely an acquired taste. I'm with CG on this .... if I have to have toast, I'll use peanut butter or just plain butter on it.
Lurker
0 likes
I never considered just how British Marmite is until reading through these posts, it really made me smile.

I don't like Marmite by itself...but a thin layer under melted cheese on toast is just perfect. If someone proposed to me with a stack of Marmite cheese on toast I wouldn't hesitate to say 'yes'.

And I love Twiglets - the number one movie muncher.
Troublemaker
0 likes
Marmite is vile, Vegemite is almost as bad.
Site administrator
0 likes
omg .. finally a thread that I can seriously relate too ...

I LOVE Marmite ... great on toast, crumpets, muffins and believe it or not teacakes and hot cross buns .. the sweet and savoury really go well together .. omg I feel so damn horny now ...

Now threads like this is why I come to Lush!!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by eiffel2007
I adore marmite. On buttered toast or crumpets, or cream crackers or or ........
I just love the stuff.

But I can't stand twiglets. They taste like over-cooked or burnt marmite.
Nor do I like the marmite flapjacks and marmite chocolate that I've been bought in the past. Some things are best left in their pure form.

Vegemite is a poor subsitute

How VERY dare you!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by trinket

How VERY dare you!

Sorry, Trinks, but you're so wrong!!