Separating parts within a story

last reply
20 replies
3.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What's your favored technique? In particular when switching character perspective, or to indicate a time lapse. I was using three pluses like so:

Xerxes smiled seductively at John, then pressed her fingers into her moist towelette.

+++

John couldn't believe Xerxes took the last, moistest towelette. She was a bad girl, and needed to be taught a lesson.

But then I realized they aren't showing up in the stories, which is probably confusing to readers.

Sure, I could think of any number of ways to go about it differently, but then I wouldn't get to bug you all about it. smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think that it's a personal preference thing. Some of the longer Stephen King stories actually use numbers to separate the parts, like chapters. One fiction workshop I attended had us use a # to separate our scenes within our stories. Another method I have seen in novels involves *** evenly spaced across a line on the page; specifically for Lush, this may not work because the spacing may be off. (In my story, I just used a single * to separate my scenes.) I've even seen dates in diary-style stories (would also work in a story written like a blog).

Bottom line, it's a personal choice. Whatever you think looks good.
Lurker
0 likes
I usually use a series of asterisks, like so:

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks, I'm specifically looking for what formats correctly in Lush, if you have experience with that.
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
I've just done this and used a row of asterisks.

I was tempted to go back and check that I'd put the same number of asterisks between each section... but managed to resist!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My story Circle of Friends is broken up into seven distinct parts - one for each character. I used the three asterisks method ( *** ) to separate each section and it seemed to work well.

Another method I've seen used is switching from normal type to italic type - usually when there are two plot lines running at once. I personally don't like reading stories that do this - the narrative should enough to clearly separate what you're reading
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
mine is usually "o-O-o" just cause i think it looks fancy. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite
mine is usually "o-O-o" just cause i think it looks fancy. smile

Really? Damn, there was me thinking that was you having a very lady-like orgasm x
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

Really? Damn, there was me thinking that was you having a very lady-like orgasm x

my orgasms are rarely "lady-like". biggrin

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Word has it Sprite has several orgasmic originating 'Noise Abatement' violations pending. ;)

Some editors, both print and electronic, have guidelines for seperations...heed them. Otherwise, use three symbols, for some reason, the number sign '###' seems popular. I'd advise skipping a line before and after the seperator if the text is single-spaced and adding a second lank line if it's double-spaced.

Whatever your choice, be consistent. If for no other reason, that'll make it easier to delete and replace in the future should the need arise.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by AbigailThornton
I've just done this and used a row of asterisks.

I was tempted to go back and check that I'd put the same number of asterisks between each section... but managed to resist!!

On verifying stories, I'll admit that I have gone through and made sure the number of asterisks was constant. You're stronger than I am.

I use either one or three asterisks. I'm a simple fellow like that.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
Another method I've seen used is switching from normal type to italic type - usually when there are two plot lines running at once. I personally don't like reading stories that do this - the narrative should enough to clearly separate what you're reading

If I saw that in a story, I would strip that formatting. Please don't do that.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I usually use either asterisks or full stops. And, unlike some people on here who shall remain nameless, but whose initials are AbigailThornton, I ALWAYS check to make certain I used the same number each time.

(You realize I just couldn't resist that, Ms T. Well, that's not strictly true; I COULD have resisted, but I chose not to.)
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks all. Variety of techniques out there! My plus signs had mysteriously disappeared, so I went back and used asterisks. All seems well.

In the future, though, I think I'll go with the classic "tits, devil, sperm, bouncing-dick-alien":

Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal

But in rare cases,

Very well played.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I reserve italoics for thoughts. And I try to be very aware of them and not string a long series of thoughts together, forming a paragraph.
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal

But in rare cases, it works quite well to italicize one character's POV.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/masturbation/he-said-she-said-the-massage.aspx

Frank_Lee used it here in this Editors' Pick http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/no-honey-no-baby-no-bitch.aspx

While both of these stories are fantastic, I'm still not sure about using typography to tell the tale.

Lurker
0 likes
I'm bad at paragraphs running together...like a head on crash