last reply
20 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I rarely watch TV, but caught this on the weekend, it was rather good:

He's come a long way since "Sickboy" in Trainspotting. I like the actor.

I thought it would be an unusual pairing with Lucy Liu, but she's very good in it too.

Modern day Sherlock Holmes, crime solving in Manhattan.
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Nicola, has "Sherlock" made its way over the pond? Its a slightly earlier model by the BBC on the modern take of Sherlock Holmes, starring Benedict Cumberbatch (War Horse). Worth a look! smile
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
we have been watching Elementary from day one - Johnny Lee Miller is brilliant as Sherlock - it's a must watch in my book. Also, we've watched Sherlock, the BBC one with B. Cumberbatch which is also amazing - as a treat, we also got the rare treat of seeing the filmed version of Frankenstein with Miller and Cumberbatch playing the lead parts, switching each night - i thought Miller was the better Monster, while Benedict was the better Doctor. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've really enjoyed Elementary. Miller and Liu's interpretation of the characters provides an enjoyable twist to what would otherwise be Yet Another Police Procedural Drama

Of course comparisons with BBC's Sherlock are going to be made. That show's co-creator Mark Gatiss is a proper Holmes fan* and that is clearly evident in the level of detail and reference; borrowing heavily from the original stories. Great for fans of Holmes but somehow I think it's held back by a need to remain true to the original character. This is where Elementary, for me, allows more people to the party.

Both of them are far more in spirit with Holmes than Guy Ritchie's film version.

[* He's a huge popular culture geek. If you can, check out the horror film documentaries he's made for the BBC]
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've been watching Elementary for a few weeks now. It's a pretty good show and the chemistry between Miller and Liu works, and should get better as the series progresses. Also fun to see Lucy Liu step out of her typical Maneater/tough girl type roles she played on Ally McBeal, Kill Bill, and Charlies Angels. Her softer side comes out well as Watson.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Lurker
0 likes
I love Lucy Liu in whatever she's in. Even Cashmere Mafia!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
I've really enjoyed Elementary. Miller and Liu's interpretation of the characters provides an enjoyable twist to what would otherwise be Yet Another Police Procedural Drama

Of course comparisons with BBC's Sherlock are going to be made. That show's co-creator Mark Gatiss is a proper Holmes fan* and that is clearly evident in the level of detail and reference; borrowing heavily from the original stories. Great for fans of Holmes but somehow I think it's held back by a need to remain true to the original character. This is where Elementary, for me, allows more people to the party.

Both of them are far more in spirit with Holmes than Guy Ritchie's film version.

[* He's a huge popular culture geek. If you can, check out the horror film documentaries he's made for the BBC]

the movies, in my opinion, are awful - ok, i need to amend that - the first one was. i didn't watch the second one cause the first one was so bad.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I feelbad saying anything negative after all the positives about this show, but in my opinion its a total waste of Lucys talent. I love to watch her but the premiss and execution is total not worth my time. I have stopped watching it. I hope they get a better vehicle to display Lucys talents.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I feelbad saying anything negative after all the positives about this show, but in my opinion its a total waste of Lucys talent. I love to watch her but the premiss and execution is total not worth my time. I have stopped watching it. I hope they get a better vehicle to display Lucys talents.
Lurker
0 likes
Good show, but it's not the first on my list for cbs thursdays.
big bang theory and person of interest, then elementary.
I come for big bang and stay for elementary. person of interest has a more interesting plot imo

And I haven't seen the first Sherlock holmes movie but I saw game of shadows and it was great. Robert downey jr and Jude law are great together. You can't compare them to elementary. Ones an action comedy and the other is a drama series. they're both great versions of a classic character. I can't see reobert downey jr playing a recovering addict and keep a straight face, and I can't see Johnny lee miller wearing a Victorian dress with the same bravado as Robert.

on a side note ripper street on BBC was interesting, but I haven't watched it since the debut
Lurker
0 likes
I love Elementary so far. I admit, I think I enjoy Sherlock more when Moriarty is out of the picture, so I like that most of the crimes in Elementary are disconnected and random, more like the original stories. I love the BBC Sherlock as well, though, but I enjoy them both. Lucy Liu definitely gives it an added appeal... I just pray they keep her and Sherlock platonic. I'd love for there to be a successful, romanceless TV show. See, producers, you don't need to shoehorn a romantic sideplot into everything!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Didn't much care for it nor the recent Sherlock series. Currently I'm enjoying Ripper Street instead with Matthew MacFadden. When I need a Sherlock Holmes fix, I'll watch Jeremy Brett's version.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by MrLosAngeles
Didn't much care for it nor the recent Sherlock series. Currently I'm enjoying Ripper Street instead with Matthew MacFadden. When I need a Sherlock Holmes fix, I'll watch Jeremy Brett's version.

Ripper Street has really been good too - my wife is hooked on it and it's a very compelling, if violent, show.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MrLosAngeles
. When I need a Sherlock Holmes fix, I'll watch Jeremy Brett's version.

By far the best acting of Sherlock Holmes I've seen. Brilliant. He manages to capture the brilliance but also the sheer arrogance that is Sherlock Holmes, but unlike many others he manages to be arrogant in the way that only Brits can be and charming at the same time. If ever there was a series or movie that were to properly show the character Sherlock Holmes, then it has to be the BBC series where Jeremy Brett plays the good old Sherlock Holmes. If you're after excitement and the typical cop drama that elementary is, then the Jeremy Brett series isn't something for you. But what it does have is the display of character that requires a tremendous amount of acting talent to pull through. In many cases it is very similar to David Suchet when he plays Hercule Poirot. It's not the action, but it's all about the characters.

I enjoy Elementary, but he doesn't have the same kind of ups and downs, the rollercoasters of energy that you can find in amongst others Sherlock and Jeremy Brett. After watching 16 episodes I still can't say I feel like I've tumbled down into the dark deep rabbithole that is the mind of Sherlock Holmes. Which is kind of sad, because it has potential, but then again; an American audience and a British audience usually expects and wants different things.
Lurker
0 likes
I've been DVR-ing and watching this latest Sherlock Holmes series Elementary and have to admit it has become disappointing. Can't wait for Season 3 with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman they have really hit a great pair with them but I still watch EVERY Jeremy Brett & Edward Hardwicke episode over and over.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by elitfromnorth
it has to be the BBC series where Jeremy Brett plays the good old Sherlock Holmes.

Purely as an exercise of pointless pedantry, Brett's Holmes was an ITV series. I was a teenager when it was first on and loved it - I was reading the books at the time and it brought them to life perfectly. Sadly ITV don't produce anything decent anymore.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
Sadly ITV don't produce anything decent anymore.

I left the UK in 1995, and don't recall them ever producing anything decent prior to that. Can you name ONE good show they aired?

I always considered them the "Daily Mail" of tv. Detritus for the uneducated masses.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola

I left the UK in 1995, and don't recall them ever producing anything decent prior to that. Can you name ONE good show they aired?

I always considered them the "Daily Mail" of tv. Detritus for the uneducated masses.

Well obviously your definition of "good" could vary wildly with mine, but as far as sheer entertainment is concerned, The Prisoner, The Avengers, The Sweeney (come to think of it almost anything that started "The...") all first-aired on and were commissioned by ITV. The Muppet Show was picked up by CBS after it debuted on ITV. Also, though I concede I might be slipping into detritus, anything ever produced by Gerry Anderson. Are you going to tell me now that you were one of those kids that watched Swap Shop instead of Tiswas?

It was pretty bad in 1995, now there's at least an hour of Corrie and Emmerdale on every night and the rest is filled with Simon Cowell, Piers Morgan or Ant & Dec.

Matriarch
0 likes
Chris Tarrant was ahead of the game, even in those days...my god he well and truly made it coming up with "Who wants to be a millionaire".

Most of those shows you mentioned originated in the 70's / early 80's I believe. The Prisoner was a childhood favourite, Patrick Mcgoohan is an extraordinary actor.

I thought Emmerdale Farm had been discontinued about 20 years ago? That and Crossroads. Both absolutely terrible. Coronation Street was hilarious, for the Northern stereotype value alone, in the same way that East Enders was.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Nicola

I'm pretty sure that ITV made Cold Feet, of course people may not agree that it was any good, but I did enjoy watching it and have all series on DVD.

As for Elementary, it's back on UK TV tomorrow night if I'm not mistaken...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I prefer the older versions but anything Sherlock is great
0 likes
I have not watched Elementary, yet. However, I do love Sherlock Holmes.

Favorite media version is the Jeremy Brett series already discussed. Great interpretation of the character and many of the adaptations stayed fairly faithful to Doyle's stories.

I do also like Sherlock (third series coming up soon, BTW). Cumberbatch's modern spin on the character works and does pick up some of the key bits of the original. They've had some interesting ideas on how to fit Holmes into the modern era. Freeman's Watson is good, too.

Of course, if you want to move off the mainstream of Holmes adaptations, there's always House. As I understand it, the character was originally intended to be a medical riff on Sherlock Holmes and, as played by Hugh Laurie, he certainly had some of Holmes' temperament (not to mention his drug addiction).
Lurker
0 likes
I've been enjoying this series a lot!