Django Unchained

last reply
18 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Linebacker
0 likes
Django Unchained is one of the bloodiest movies I've ever seen. The language is very foul. Typical Quentin Tarantino, but I have enjoyed all of his movies. It has a great cast. Jamie Fox is outstanding as is Christopher Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio. Samuel L. Jackson is awesome, Oscar worthy awesome. Kerry Washington is outstanding and gorgeous! Also, Don Johnson is excellent as a scumbag slave owner and incompetent wannabe leader of a bunch of inept pre-KKK goofballs.

Evidently Tarantino set out to make an old fashioned 1960s style spaghetti western and he truly did. He picks up on all the great stereotypical spaghetti western cliches, even to the point of purposely having incorrect geographical scene settings. Hanging moss in Tennessee? haha Treeless hills in Mississippi (that looks more like California.)

If you like bloody cursing shoot 'em ups, then you'll love it. It is packed full of impossible unrealistic action scenes. If only mid-1800s black powder pistols had been that accurate. Parts of the movie are funny as hell and had me nearly laughing out of my seat, while other scenes I could barely stomach watching.

If you don't like bloody gore and are squeamish about certain ugly despicable words then don't go see it as you'll probably hate it. I admit I was taken aback about the constant use of a certain word I really don't like to hear.

Despite that I rate it 4 out of 5 stars. Its almost as good as Inglorious Basterds but not near as good as Pulp Fiction.
Lurker
0 likes
I loved it and agree with all your comments. I particularly enjoyed Sam L Jackson's skin-crawlingly obsequious 'house boy'. It's quite clear he relished playing so against type. Di Caprio is an actor I've previously thought over-rated, but here he's quite brilliant.

Django Unchained is I think a return to form for Tarantino. I was less impressed by the Kill Bill movies than I wanted to be and the historical inaccuracies of Inglorious Basterds grated on my nerves.

I hope Quentin gets at least one or two little statuettes at The Academy Awards.

xx SF
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by stephanie
the historical inaccuracies of Inglorious Basterds grated on my nerves. xx SF

Of course it's historically inaccurate, he rewrote history deliberately, to fit (Jewish death squads?) the script. He's done the same thing with Django Unchained, from what I've read (yet to see it).
The Linebacker
0 likes
Like I said above Tarantino had fun playing with the scenes. His Tennessee scene looks like coastal Mississippi. Those hills in Mississippi look like California and believe me Mississippi and California do not look anything alike. At least I think Tarantino plans for inaccuracies as part of his style unlike Oliver Stone who wants you to believe his inaccurate history is truth. Tarantino does add quite a bit of humor to Durango Unchained.
The Linebacker
0 likes
that double post thing...aaaaargh!
Lurker
0 likes
I loved this film, Tarantino's films just appeal to me, but I do like bloody movies.

I have such admiration for his skills in taking the audience through every emotion and really making them feel it (I was laughing one moment and nearly in tears the next).

I thought Christoph Waltz was truly fantastic I was pleasantly suprised by DiCaprio having previously not been such a big fan and I loved his (Tarantino's) cameo role - although I was a bit unsure what accent he was meant to have, along with the others.

Agreed it wasn't quite up there with Pulp Fiction but otherwise it's sitting up there as a pretty solid favourite of mine.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Tarantino does add quite a bit of humor to Durango Unchained.

It's D J A N G O. The D is silent, hillbilly.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

*Giggles* (Buz was taking the piss, Felix!!!!)

xx SF
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
A very moving and enchanting movie..Brought tears to my eyes when i saw the extent to which a man is willing to go for the one he loves... Brilliant actors create astonding performances..!!!
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Sorry 'bout that dyslexic spelling Jack but now that I see it I think I like Durango better than Django. How's that you Cailfornia grape jockey fresh out of an ashram?

You know I'm southern and there's never been a syllable I didn't want to add another one to, so this silent letter stuff is just annoying and aw shucks, it confuses my sensibilities.

PS. You bring the weed and I'll supply some corn liquor that will make that fleece of hair fall right off your back and you won't have to wax anymore.

And that's Mr. Hillbilly to you sir.
Lurker
0 likes
Django Unchained is an awesome film. I loved it from start to finish. It made laugh, cry, hope. . .and everything in between. One of Tarantino's best and I'd sit down and watch it any time.
Lurker
0 likes
great movie - it gets a 5/5 in my book, and enjoyed it as much, maybe more, than any of his other films. The humor he embedded into several scenes (particularly the KKK scene) was well done.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Buz

Sorry 'bout that dyslexic spelling Jack but now that I see it I think I like Durango better than Django.

That's Master Jack, moonlight.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My husband loved it. I enjoyed it okay but couldn't watch many scenes, too gory!!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Liked it BUT Sam L. Jackson's house boy was sooo paternal to Di Caprio , for a moment I thought a hat trick was going to pop up at the end of the film, such as him crying on DiCaprio's body "that's my son you shot!"
(Else, how could the House Boy go to the Reading Room, pour himself a shot of Whyskey and sit in the leather chair AND address DiCaprio in such a way ???)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Holy Post Necrophilia, Batman!

I'm bringing this one back from the dead to add my own two cents in. I finally saw this movie, and I have a couple words to say.

Actually, it's just five words.

Kerry Washington, butt-ass naked.

Damn.
Lurker
0 likes
I have a friend in Daughtery.... I have a reason to tease her now lol
0 likes
I still have yet to see this movie but really want to though
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
jackson was fantastic ,i di enjoythe movie but was a little troubled by it