The Walking Dead

last reply
420 replies
46.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Alpha Blonde
0 likes

The official countdown begins! Who's excited???

Ok, so admittedly, I absolutely love The Walking Dead. I don't follow many shows (in fact this is the only one) but it's had me hooked from the beginning.

This is the thread to hit up after episodes air to voice your opinions on what just played out - the good, the bad and the creepy.

I'm sure this show has a reasonable following of viewers on Lush so if you are a fan, time to fess up!

Here's some questions to get you started:

Who's your favourite and least favourite character?
Most memorable scene?
Scariest or most shocking moment?
Favourite season?

And if you have any general thoughts on the show, feel free to share... smile
Lurker
0 likes
Yup...... I watch it too! ;)
Lurker
0 likes
Ahhh, I LOVE the Walking Dead.

I can't answer your questions because....I LOVE ALL THE THINGS.

I think the zombie action went seriously downhill though...in the first few episodes (ie. series 1) I spent a lot of time cowering behind my hands...since then the zombie action has been laughable at best.

You lot in America need to get it on your tvs so I can stream it, ahemahem, exciting!
Lurker
0 likes
I LOVE this show!!!!

(I was a fan of the comics before, SORRY, the GRAPHIC NOVELS!!!!! A-Hem!)

I really think the series has gotten better as it's progressing.

MICHONNE KICKS ASS!!!!! I'm in love with her sulky, samurai-sassy, black ass! (I just KNOW that little fucker has a soft side!) I HATE ANDREA because she sluts for facists.

Most memorable scene?

STILL the scene in episode one where HALF A ZOMBIE (!!!!!) claws her way across a lawn! (ARRRRRGH!)

Lori's cesarean section!!!!!! HOW DID THEY GET AWAY WITH THAT??????

Favourite season?

Season 3... (I can't wait for the new episodes....)

HEY? Does anyone else think The Governor looks uncannily like reknowned IRISH actor Liam Neeson. (Stop panting, Daisy Shylass...)

xx steph
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Very perceptive and discriminating in your view Steph, I too am a great fan! I also eagerly await the shows return. I really miss Dale.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm watching episode 7 of season two right now
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by LittleBambi
Ahhh, I LOVE the Walking Dead.

I can't answer your questions because....I LOVE ALL THE THINGS.

I think the zombie action went seriously downhill though...in the first few episodes (ie. series 1) I spent a lot of time cowering behind my hands...since then the zombie action has been laughable at best.

You lot in America need to get it on your tvs so I can stream it, ahemahem, exciting!

I'll agree with this assessment! But I still love the Walking Dead.
Sergeant Turnip
0 likes
I LOVE THIS SHOW!! It is my favorite!!

Favorite Character - Daryl Dixon, I just love him!! *swoon*

Worst Character - Shane - I hated him.

Memorable Scene - When Carols daughter walked out of the barn as a Zombie.... made me sad sad

Scariest/Shocking moment - I have to agree with Steph -Lori's cesarean section, it was intense and scary and totally not what I was expecting.

Favorite season - I cant pick one, all of them have something amazing about them that makes them great smile
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Stephanie - you are so right. The Governor does look like Liam Neeson. Aside from his evilness, there is something kinda sexy about him and can see why Andrea has her panties in a knot over him. Plus during the Zombie Apocalypse, it's not like there's so much variety as far as mates and fuckbuddies go anyway, right. I can see why she wants to overlook the glaring red flags about his character and Woodbury.

My fave character is quickly becoming Michonne too (and even bigger yay! She's on Lush too! smile
I like her unapologetic kick-ass character and hoping she gets more dialogue and screen-time in part two of the season.
A close runner-up though - and more of a long term favourite character is Darryl. I would be devastated if they killed him off. During the early part of season one - I didn't like him at all, but he totally grew on me and I've always loved the "tough guy with a heart of gold" types.

My least favourite character - Not that I dislike her, but I wouldn't be that sad if they killed off Carol. I wasn't a fan of Lori either. It's funny but in talking to a lot of guy friends about the show - they all universally hated Lori. I think it's because she went against what a likeable female does in shows like this. She was banging her hubby's best friend five seconds after she thought he was dead and she could never seem to keep track of her son Carl. Bad wife and mom = zombie food. I feel whenever the females on the show fuck up, fans aren't quick to forgive them. Now all I hear is people saying that they need to kill of Andrea because she's 'annoying' and dumb for being blind to what's going because she's so horny for the Governor. lol

Most memorable scene - I think the final showdown on the Farm - the burning barn, the final escape. That was pretty cinematic for me. Especially watching the zombies in silhouette against the flames... was kind of cool.

Scariest/shocking scene - Yep, Lori's c-section was it for me, as well. That whole episode almost had me shaking at the end of it. Terrifying and tragic. I even had to reach for the kleenex box. Kinda stayed with me for a day or two as well. That was an insanely action packed episode.

Favourite Season - I like how 3 is going as well. I also loved season one. Season two felt a little slower than I wanted it. I actually like the fast paced action and zombe sequences. I felt like parts of season two were unnecessarily slow. All that sitting around and talking and talking at the farm...

PS. I also miss Dale! He was kind of like Papa Bear of the group. I think his death was one of the most shocking for me. I totally didn't see it coming. sad
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I NEVER SEEN THE SHOW , BUT CLICKED ON BECAUSE TO ME THE WALKING DEAD IS ME IF WHEN IM OLDER AND IF I CANT GET HARD OR ENJOY SEX ANYMORE THEN ID B THE WALKING DEAD . BUT ENJOY UR SHOW .
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I love the show, however every ones love for Michonne sickens me just a bit. I honestly hate her but I'm biased. She can't handle a sword worth shit. I'm professionally trained to handle, and even make the sword she carries. It makes me mad they didn't even give her basic training. Really very sad. She holds the sword all wrong and doesn't keep the right stance. However, thats just my professional showing through. Great show.

My favorite character was Glenn at the beginning, but now it's Daryl Dixon, I must say I am in love, but he seems to favor older women. Made my heart skip a beat when he held the baby, all tender and sappy and sweet. I couldn't breathe for a few moments and I was grinning like a fool.

Most memorable scene for me was when Glenn radioed to Rick in season one while he was in the tank, then that military walker presumed to be dead moved. I knew it was coming, but it still scared me.

Scariest scene would have to be When everyone got separated inside the prison and T-dog died to save Carol. Very scary.

I have to say the first season was my favorite, however I love them all.
The Linebacker
0 likes
The Walking Dead is filmed just outside Atlanta. IronE Singelton that plays Theodore 'T-Dog' Douglas, played football at and is a UGA alumni and his college roommate was superstar football player Hines Ward, one of my favorite all-time Georgia Bulldogs. Anyhow through that connection Hines Ward has played a zombie on the TV show before. I have some friends who've been extras on The Walking Dead. It is one of the few TV shows I like, but I still don't get a chance to keep up with it as much as I would like. I may have to buy the DVD season packages.

Hines Ward in his zombie make up...
Lurker
0 likes
that has to be one of the best shows ever. its so easy to just sit and watch all of them and not even know it. its so well done with a great story line. nicely done.
Lurker
0 likes
I think I am the only person on Earth who hates the Walking Dead. I seriously think I owe everyone who's in love with the show an apology.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
This is my very most favorite show in the world! It inspired me to become a Certified Zombie Survival Strategist. ;)

Who's your favourite and least favourite character? My favorite character is Glen. I love how he's changed from a basic gopher, to a leader and key go-to guy. I also love Daryl because of his balls-to-the-wall attitude. My least favorite character changes. At one point it was Shane, then it was Karl for a bit, and now--even though I want to see him naked--it's the Governor.
Most memorable scene? When the camp at the rock quarry gets invaded by walkers and Rick, Daryl, Glen, and T-dog show up and save the group.
Scariest or most shocking moment? When Herschel gets bit.
Favourite scene? When Rick finds his family, and he points and runs to Karl. I adore that scene!

I also keep asking myself (and anyone that will listen to me) ... WHY DO ALL THE WALKERS ALWAYS HAVE BOTH SHOES ON? You're telling me not a single flat, heel, slipper, or tennis shoe fell off while fleeing the geeks? And an even more pressing question ... WHY DIDN'T THEY EVER LOCK THE EFFING MOTOR-HOME DOOR? ;)

February 10th! I can't wait!
0 likes
Quote by pixiedust
I think I am the only person on Earth who hates the Walking Dead. I seriously think I owe everyone who's in love with the show an apology.

I wouldn't say I hate it since I haven't watched it yet, but I've never found the whole cannibal zombie genre all that appealing. I like some of the early Romero zombie films (the original 1968 Night of the Living Dead is a fantastic B horror movie) but overall I was finding the genre overdone and rather played out even before Walking Dead debuted.

Netflix Canada has the first two seasons and I keep eyeing them as something to try but then go to more appealing (to me) fare like Torchwood. That said, I keep hearing that the writing and acting is some of the best on the tube (can we even call it that now that most TVs are LCD or plasma?) right now so will likely bite bullet and try it out eventually.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Of the 3 main human transitional movie genres Zombies. Werewolves, and Vampires, I like zombies and werewolves much better than vampires.

The Night of the Living Dead was a popular movie to show when we had Zombie Parties. We never threw a werewolf or a vampire party. When we had parties we always dressed the theme. Toga parties were especially popular and always accompanied by the video Animal House playing.

My favorite ever werewolf movie is American Werewolf In London.

I think The Walking Dead is an exceptional TV show.
Lurker
0 likes
Someone mentioned the zombie torso clawing through the park a few posts up, if you watched the video prequels online that female zombie that Rick encounters first and later returns to kill was a mom that sacrificed herself to buy her kids time to escape. (Just an interesting note, that she was a main character coming back for a cameo. Some people think she was in that park looking for her kids even as a zombie.)

Hannah
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

I wouldn't say I hate it since I haven't watched it yet, but I've never found the whole cannibal zombie genre all that appealing. I like some of the early Romero zombie films (the original 1968 Night of the Living Dead is a fantastic B horror movie) but overall I was finding the genre overdone and rather played out even before Walking Dead debuted.

Netflix Canada has the first two seasons and I keep eyeing them as something to try but then go to more appealing (to me) fare like Torchwood. That said, I keep hearing that the writing and acting is some of the best on the tube (can we even call it that now that most TVs are LCD or plasma?) right now so will likely bite bullet and try it out eventually.

it's not just a zombie show, zombies actually play a minor role in the shows story. the series is mostly based around the emotions and the social interactions of the survivors to struggle as a community. a social commentary really, if it was the end of the world and you met survivors would you team up, kill them and take their supplies, or avoid them. Thats the simplest example.

Most of the show is based around that kind of idea with the zombies (walkers) only serving to edge on the survivors, and provide a threat. It's not a "zombies are the only antagonists" situation, threats potentially come from friends and family, also to note in this universe there was no such thing as zombie movies. white zombie and night of the living dead were never created so in this reality it's something no one had even imagined, hence why the term zombie is never spoken in the series and they're referred to as walkers. They're are several spins to the standard zombie that are present here that you may not expect.

As far as the zombies go they're the best I've seen, I'm a horror movie buff and ive seen about all the zombie movies they have, when I was watching the first episodes on tv I was amazed how Amc got away with what they we're showing. The dawn of the dead remake has nothing on this, they greased a few palms along the way to let the gore they have actually get aired. The gore is great but the characters are really why you stay, it works on both aspects.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

It's definitely more of an action-drama than a typical zombie horror. You see characters grow and change in the face of the challenges they must overcome. There's inner individual dynamic, relationship dynamics, larger group dynamics and even the human dynamic (what does it even mean to be human anymore?). So it's an interesting social study about the different ways people react to and combat a world where order no longer exists. It's actually less about the zombies a lot of the time.

I just find myself constantly asking myself - what would I do in this or that particular situation. There is constant tension because the clever writers are ruthless with killing off main characters when you're least expecting it. Usually you kind of know who the 'dispensable' surplus characters are in a zombie or horror movie so you're not that shocked when they finally meet their end. This series turns that formula on its head so you're constantly surprised and genuinely concerned for their well-being as you get more and more invested in certain characters along the way. It feels more authentic and raw that way too compared to a lot of the 'canned' zombie movies of that genre.

It's hard not to get instantly hooked on this series once you get a few episodes in.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Of the 3 main human transitional movie genres Zombies. Werewolves, and Vampires, I like zombies and werewolves much better than vampires.

The Night of the Living Dead was a popular movie to show when we had Zombie Parties. We never threw a werewolf or a vampire party. When we had parties we always dressed the theme. Toga parties were especially popular and always accompanied by the video Animal House playing.

My favorite ever werewolf movie is American Werewolf In London.

I think The Walking Dead is an exceptional TV show.

Did you ever see daybreakers? Good vampire movies are definitely rare, but daybreakers had a great original story to it that hadn't been done, the only downside was it ended way to soon. it could have gone on another 30minutes. the ending was a little rushed. I like vampires zombies then werewolves, there's just to few good werewolf movies now, its been 3 years since the wolfman remake..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes! Brilliant show, super excited for the return. I actually blew through it during a recent bout with the flu when I had hours to kill. Couldn't stop watching it.

I mean, gotta love Rick. I think with a lot of cable dramas out now -- Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, all of which I love -- deal with anti-heroes, or ambiguous main characters, so it's nice to have a real "hero's hero" on TV, but one who is forced to make the kind of decisions that throw that ideal into question. I think the show does an incredible job of taking the zombie/horror tropes and discovering what happens when you put realistic characters into those situations. Michonne -- badass, not much to add there. But really the ensemble, the interplay and balance between all the characters, love em or hate em, is one of the core elements that makes the show so great. So it's tough for me to pick a "least favorite." I guess Carol's douchebag of a husband...I wasn't sad to see him get torn apart by walkers. Guess I saw that coming, though not the beautiful Amy, Andrea's sister around that same episode, that was sad.

Most memorable scene?

Rick's ride into a fallen Atlanta stuck with me. Loved the shot of him entering on horseback, only to find the city was completely overrun. Also when Jenner blew up the CDC. It's like, there goes your last hope of anything returning to normal -- there's really no going back.

Dale's death was the one that made me realize, okay, these writers aren't fucking around. They'll kill anybody. It was shocking, but also compelling because he was the moral voice of the group, the only one willing to take a principled stand for preserving life over taking life for the sake of preventing a threat that may or may not exist. It's a fascinating question, and he was by far the strongest advocate for the "choose life" position. Without his anchor, does someone else step up to take on that role? Or does the moral makeup of the group break down or change? I think both of those things have happened to an extent. The aforementioned Amy from season 1 too, if only because I couldn't stop yelling at Andrea to get the fuck out of the way before she turns into a goddamn zombie!!! Great building of suspense/tragedy there.

Favourite season?

I loved the first, because you have people still hanging on to the old world, and figuring out what it means to live in the new one. Some of the most interesting turning points there. But it's great now, too. I love how we've gone on the journey with these people and they really have changed. Most are tougher, more hardened, and way better at killing zombies (like when they took out that prison...really great). I agree that the farm started to get stale pretty quick. Also because we were so used to moving quickly from one location to the next. But the last stand at the farm was certainly worth the wait. Talk about putting your main characters into a corner.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Check out www.deadyourself.com to turn yourself and your loved ones into a walker from The Walking Dead. You can pick from an assortment of zombie teeth, eyes, backgrounds and other gory stuff. It's such a fun app. lol
Lurker
0 likes
Marathon has been on yesterday (I think) and today. Season opener tonight!!!!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
In parallel camps - both Rick and the Governor appear to be going a little nuts.

What do you think of Rick's decision to drop Daryl from the group because of his unwillingness to leave Merle? Good decision or bad decision?

Would you make the same decision as Daryl for your blood kin - even if they were a-holes like Merle or would you stick with your new group/family?

Do you think Rick should let Tyrese's gang and Michonne stay at the prison to fortify their numbers incase of attack by Walkers, scavengers or Woodbury revenge seekers OR is trusting any outsiders at this point a recipe for disaster?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
In parallel camps - both Rick and the Governor appear to be going a little nuts.

What do you think of Rick's decision to drop Daryl from the group because of his unwillingness to leave Merle? Good decision or bad decision?

Would you make the same decision as Daryl for your blood kin - even if they were a-holes like Merle or would you stick with your new group/family?

Do you think Rick should let Tyrese's gang and Michonne stay at the prison to fortify their numbers incase of attack by Walkers, scavengers or Woodbury revenge seekers OR is trusting any outsiders at this point a recipe for disaster?

Yes they are truly losing their minds. But I think Rick's camp will deal with it better. The others seem to be sheeple and frankly worthless. I just sat shaking my head from the time that camp was shown.

I would have killed Merle. End of the problem. He is bad news and has shown no redeeming qualities IMO.

If I had a family member that was like Merle, and even if he was my brother.... I would cut bait. Sorry, even blood should have some standards and not be a problem. As it is, I am social with my relatives but there are some drama hounds and fuckups.... and they stay FAR AWAY. I don't allow them to affect my life. I can love them, but I will not allow them to bring drama or danger to my immediate family/group.

I think they should allow these new folks into the fold. BUT watch them closely. I can already see there IS a problem brewing and that may have to be dealt with sooner than later.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Omg... Merle. I always figured he would end up redeeming himself in the end but that final scene was just so jarring and emotional!
Head Nurse
0 likes
UGHHH, I set up to get caught up. Marathon session planned on the couch. Then I discovered that I didn't have episode 9...and that last I saw was 8! (wahhh! Ill be getting that AsAP!)
Lurker
0 likes
Did everyone watch the season finale?
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Kitanica
Did everyone watch the season finale?

Yes... I had to reach for the kleenex box yet again. I know a lot of fans disliked Andrea at one point but I had come back around to really enjoying her character and it was all just so sad at the end. I totally got choked up - also seeing the other character's reactions. She had evolved so much from the early days of season one. Honestly, I wasn't expecting that final scene - I thought she had put down Milton in time (another sad character loss).

The Governor is just sooooo evil! Like every time I think he sinks to a new moral low, he surpasses himself. Where did he and his henchmen go at the end? Surprised they didn't return to Woodbury before Rick and the Gang herded all the old people and children into the bus to bring them back to the prison.

I hate having to wait until the fall to watch things play out from here...

I'm amazed how this series still manages to stay fresh and exciting. I'm still totally hooked!