Login

Sleep Paralysis ?

last reply
1 reply
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which people, either when falling asleep or wakening, temporarily experience inability to move, similar to when an arm or leg goes to sleep, but not associated with numbness. More formally, it is a transition state between wakefulness and rest characterized by complete muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It can occur at sleep onset or when awakening. It is believed a result of disrupted REM sleep, which is normally characterized by complete muscle atonia that prevents individuals from acting out their dreams. -Wikipedia

Anybody ever wake up then find you can not move? Felt it hard to breathe, like something was pressing down on your chest? You can see and hear what is going on. Just laying there frozen without being able to go back to sleep or fully wake up.
Lurker
0 likes
What an interesting subject.
I haven't have it to that degree but have had minor experiences with it. Have been "dying" in my sleep for whatever reason and woke up holding my breath. Or what I have thought was holding my breath.
I have a friend and have considered myself, that works for a sleep doctor. One that hooks you up to all manner of devices to see what happens when you're asleep. Interesting work, I think.