Misleading Avatars

last reply
55 replies
5.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Guys: Are you tired of clicking on avatars depicting gorgeous women only to find yourself on some guy's profile page? I find that it's getting damned annoying.
Clever Gem
0 likes
hahahahaha , oh god sorry to laugh, that must be awful. Careful who you friend , we arent all bad .
Lurker
0 likes
In all truthfulness, so many are fake (even if the sex is right) that I have just started going to the profiles to do any verification that can be done. LOL
Clumeleon
0 likes
No. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Detention Seeker
0 likes
It would be easier to distinguish the various people.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by clum
No. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I bet you're not even a real cookie.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set her free." -Michelangelo

Please Enjoy: The Beach, The Workout, The Hike
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Maybe they just like the picture. As long as on their profile they are not claiming it to be a picture of them, I don't consider that to be misleading. The profiles are there to read and find out who you are talking to. Now if they are male and state to be a female, that is misleading. That's my opinion.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There is a definite advantage if you're an author and have av of a sexy woman.

Go to buy a magazine; the ones aimed at men have beautiful women on the covers, the ones aimed at women have beautiful women on the covers. There's a reason for this.

NUMBERS GEEK-ERY ALERT

Ok, I did a tiny bit of analysis to see if I could back this up. I took a random sample of three pages of story links from about a week ago, I didn't count the Incest stories because they attract an abnormally high amount of votes compared to other catergories.
[code]
Total sample: 40 stories

Avatar No of stories No of votes Average votes per story
Default red male 5 33 6.6
Default red female 3 23 7.7
Miscellaneous 17 185 10.8
Male 10 114 11.4
Female 15 241 16.1
[/code]

A very small sample but certainly enough to lend weight to what most people would assume to be true
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by BallChinian
I bet you're not even a real cookie.

Well, I AM ginger and delicious so it's close enough.
Lurker
0 likes
Do you know the muffin man? ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

Go to buy a magazine; the ones aimed at men have beautiful women on the covers, the ones aimed at women have beautiful women on the covers. There's a reason for this.

NUMBERS GEEK-ERY ALERT

Ok, I did a tiny bit of analysis to see if I could back this up. I took a random sample of three pages of story links from about a week ago, I didn't count the Incest stories because they attract an abnormally high amount of votes compared to other catergories.
[code]

Male 10 114 11.4
Female 15 241 16.1
[/code]

A very small sample but certainly enough to lend weight to what most people would assume to be true

So, before I publish another story I should change my AV back to the picture of my boobs?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM boobs, what was the question?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by freakycactus

So, before I publish another story I should change my AV back to the picture of my boobs?

Of course, the numbers say so!

Anything else would definitely be misleading
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
well you makes your own choices and just have to be careful
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by JohnC
Do you know the muffin man? ;)

We run in similar circles.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

NUMBERS GEEK-ERY ALERT

[code]

Male 10 114 11.4
Female 15 241 16.1
[/code]

Good analysis. It would also be interesting to see long vs short story.

Maybe I need a female pen name/image for my stories. I'll have an alias for my alias.

Oh yea, boobs are always good. Bring them on!
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set her free." -Michelangelo

Please Enjoy: The Beach, The Workout, The Hike
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Gotta agree with you Mobius_NR. Drives me nuts
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
100 percent me....and my breasts are..too!
Lurker
0 likes
There is an easy way to take care of this though.... add SEX to the information that shows up under the Avatar. Heck, you could also add sexual orientation as well. It is pretty easy to do and would not really be a drain on the system. Problem solved.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by blazestcyr
100 percent me....and my breasts are..too!

100 percent yummy too

btw not me in avatar but close
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you do a search on male users and sort by profile visits you'll find that 11 of the 20 most popular male profiles on this site have women as their avatars - including the most visited profile on lush

0 likes
Quote by Mobius_NR
Guys: Are you tired of clicking on avatars depicting gorgeous women only to find yourself on some guy's profile page? I find that it's getting damned annoying.

No, I can't say that it is that annoying. After you have been here for awhile you realize which avatars could be real or fake. I can also say the longer you have been here, the less you "creep" on people's profiles as well.
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Lurker
0 likes
I love to profile surf though. LOL
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by freakycactus

I think you should change your AV back to the picture of your boobs anyway. I'm just sayin'..

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

NUMBERS GEEK-ERY ALERT

[code]

Male 10 114 11.4
Female 15 241 16.1
[/code]

I know I deffinitely prefer stories written by women and as such tend to avoid male profiles. That said I can often (not always tell) when it's a guy behind the profile picture just based in the account name.
Lurker
0 likes
Not really, life is too short to be annoyed by such trifles....you could pop into the rage cage and have a rant there...
Lurker
0 likes
90% of this site is pure fantasy. That said, why would you pop into a profile without having chatted with the person before hand? And why does it matter what they have as an avatar, if you're basing your interest on a picture that says more about you than them.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Skanderbeg
90% of this site is pure fantasy. That said, why would you pop into a profile without having chatted with the person before hand? And why does it matter what they have as an avatar, if you're basing your interest on a picture that says more about you than them.

Amen.
Lurker
0 likes
I do not know what the problem is - check the profile - if you like it - go for it.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by pixiedust65
Maybe they just like the picture. As long as on their profile they are not claiming it to be a picture of them, I don't consider that to be misleading. The profiles are there to read and find out who you are talking to. Now if they are male and state to be a female, that is misleading. That's my opinion.

so, you're NOT really Tink? i am so depressed now... *melodramatic sigh*

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.