Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

My story has been rejected again: Help!!!!

last reply
16 replies
3.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I decided to be brave and submit my first story, but it's been rejected again. Would anyone who has experience of their stories being published be able to help me, it's manly punctuation and grammar issues?

Drop me a message if you would be able to help me, I really appreciate any help that I recieve.

Xx
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by PurplePassion13
I decided to be brave and submit my first story, but it's been rejected again. Would anyone who has experience of their stories being published be able to help me, it's manly punctuation and grammar issues?

Drop me a message if you would be able to help me, I really appreciate any help that I recieve.

Xx

The links sent at the bottom of the rejection note are specifically designed to help you with this problem. Please try reading them. They are written clearly.

The moderator went into detail about what you need to fix. I also suggest that doing a spell check on your title is a perfect place to start.

Try reading your story out loud to yourself. This often throws up problems when we make mistakes or don't understand a rule. I do this with my own all the time.

Please don't be discouraged, but remember that writing isn't always as easy as just churning out some sentences and hoping for the best.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Sophisticate
0 likes
I would second Shylass's advice. Review the resources suggested by the story moderator. Check spelling carefully and without relying on spell check which allows mistakes that are words. A spelling mistake in the title is not a good start. Leave your story alone for a while and go back and check it again with fresh eyes. You have to recognize that there is time and work involved in getting better. Numerous checks and edits are necessary.

Read the additional resources not on the mod's suggestion list. There is value in refreshing your memory about grammar and punctuation.

Look at the stories in the Editors' Pick category as examples of good writing, both in the sense of literacy and the quality of the story. While you may not be able to tell as good a story on your first try, you certainly can work to make it correct as these are.

There is a thread which would be helpful to you:
http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postsm1001468_Advice-before-submitting-a-story.aspx#1001468
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Thank you for your responses.

I am going to go away and spend some time reading all the information on here plus the guidance notes.

Xxxx
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by PurplePassion13
Thank you for your responses.

I am going to go away and spend some time reading all the information on here plus the guidance notes.

Xxxx

Do your best, lass. Let us know how you go.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
It really helps to have a fresh pair of eyes on your work, preferably not your own but someone whose opinion you can both trust and you can take constructive criticism from.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by thirteenthfloor
It really helps to have a fresh pair of eyes on your work, preferably not your own but someone whose opinion you can both trust and you can take constructive criticism from.

It also helps to step away from the story for a while. Even a day or so sometimes. If it is fresh, you could be reading it how it is supposed to be, and not actually how you wrote it. Good Luck!
Velvet-Voiced Titillator
0 likes
It's a great idea to ask for help from your Lush friends when proofing a story. I have had some great tips and advice from some brilliant friends, who are helping me grow as a writer.
If you ask them to make notes, and then you go back and change the mistakes, you will learn a lot more than from someone just corrects everything.

I find proofing the hardest part of writing but if you stick with it, it does get easier.

Good Luck x
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I've had two stories rejected so far. So I may need help from you guys...
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Erosman69
I've had two stories rejected so far. So I may need help from you guys...

What areas do you need help with? We have some fantastic guides on Lush which cover all sorts of elements such as paragraphing, punctuation, formatting dialogue, etc.

I can post the links if that helps.

Edit:

- General formatting
- Paragraphs
- Poem Structure
- Run-on sentences
- Punctuation - Punctuation marks / Speech marks / Apostrophes / Ellipsis
- Unacceptable content
- Formatting Dialogue
- General advice before submitting a story
- Proofreading your work
- Use of proper verb tense
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by Liz

What areas do you need help with? We have some fantastic guides on Lush which cover all sorts of elements such as paragraphing, punctuation, formatting dialogue, etc.

I can post the links if that helps.

Edit:

- [url=https://]General formatting[/url]
- [url=https://]Paragraphs[/url]
- [url=https://]Poem Structure[/url]
- [url=]Run-on sentences[/url]
- [url=https://]Punctuation - Punctuation marks / Speech marks / Apostrophes / Ellipsis[/url]
- [url=https://#unacceptable]Unacceptable content[/url]
- Formatting Dialogue
- General advice before submitting a story
- Proofreading your work
- Use of proper verb tense

I guess I need another pair of eyes to look at the whole story. The first moderator talked spelling and grammar, the second moderator mentioned sentence construction and spacing. I've run both stories through Grammarly to correct all that as suggested but still, they got rejected and I'm convinced once rejected, they won't be accepted anymore even if corrected. is that true?
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Erosman69
I guess I need another pair of eyes to look at the whole story. The first moderator talked spelling and grammar, the second moderator mentioned sentence construction and spacing. I've run both stories through Grammarly to correct all that as suggested but still, they got rejected and I'm convinced once rejected, they won't be accepted anymore even if corrected. is that true?

No, not at all. If the story is good enough for the front page then it'll be published. We don't limit how many times an author can edit and resubmit a piece. However, we do encourage members to try and minimize how many times their story ends up in the verification queue by correcting as many issues as they can instead of just a few and then trying their luck.

Also, as handy a tool as Grammarly is it can miss some obvious mistakes so getting a second pair of eyes on a story is always a sensible idea. If there are any specific issues you're not sure about, you can also PM the moderator who returned your story - they should be able to assist by pointing you in the right direction.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by Liz

No, not at all. If the story is good enough for the front page then it'll be published. We don't limit how many times an author can edit and resubmit a piece. However, we do encourage members to try and minimize how many times their story ends up in the verification queue by correcting as many issues as they can instead of just a few and then trying their luck.

Also, as handy a tool as Grammarly is it can miss some obvious mistakes so getting a second pair of eyes on a story is always a sensible idea. If there are any specific issues you're not sure about, you can also PM the moderator who returned your story - they should be able to assist by pointing you in the right direction.

I have messaged the moderator not sure when they'll respond. It took them24 hours to moderate the last story.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Erosman69
I have messaged the moderator not sure when they'll respond. It took them24 hours to moderate the last story.

24 hours is a fantastic turn around time. I submitted a story to another erotica site once and waited 6 weeks.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by Liz

24 hours is a fantastic turn around time. I submitted a story to another erotica site once and waited 6 weeks.

Lol. 6 weeks is longer than 24hrs I know...
Lurker
0 likes
Have patience and listen to the mods. Things will get better with communication and practice.