Why Do You Not Vote/Comment

last reply
58 replies
6.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Just wondering why you do not vote or leave a comment for the authors on the stories you read
Mazztastic
0 likes
I love that anyone takes the time to read any of my stories (or even listen to the audios, which I've recorded for most of them)

Sometimes, people simply don't have the time to leave a comment or vote, or perhaps they aren't signed into Lush, or do not have an account.

Some people might not enjoy the story, or find it displeases them in some way and rather than offend the author, maybe they choose to say nothing.

Often times, people don't have anything to say, or maybe don't know how to say it - they just enjoy reading...

I really love it when people vote on my stories and if they go to the bother of leaving a comment, well that really makes my day!! (I try to respond to those who do, just to say thanks for doing it)

I do wish that people who leave a lower score, would also PM or leave a comment though, so that I can learn how to improve etc.

I'd never do the thing where you force people to leave a comment if they want to vote though. I'd rather they voted/commented through choice, not because they felt they had to...
Troublemaker
0 likes
Interesting topic...I had been reading Lush stories as a non-member for a while so was not voting/commenting.
As a member I usually don't comment because simply & honestly, I'm lazy. In some cases a story may not be my cup of tea so I would be unlikely to comment. The story or writing may have been brillliant but I would feel awkward commenting.
Recently I gave a 4/5 score on an excellent story, typical of me because I'm the guy who gives 9/10, 99/100 (yeah THAT guy) Then a subsequent commenter posted a comment wondering why anyone would give less than a five. And just like that a lightbulb went on...
What qualifies me, with exactly zero stories posted, to be so scant with praise? The author in particular is one of the best so the 4/5 started to look pretty chintzy.
Mazza's comments above are spot on. As a recent poster of my first poem, receiving comments was especially gratifying and encouraging. You would think it obvious but it drove home to me the value of comments.
I usually read the writer's profile and will comment based on that eg new writer I would always want to be positive and encouraging in my comments, if the profile clearly suggests constructive criticism is requested than I might be a bit more direct.

Personally I am interested in receiving and would appreciate honest feedback, I know I have a lot to learn.
Mazztastic
0 likes
Quote by LYFBUZ
Interesting topic...I had been reading Lush stories as a non-member for a while so was not voting/commenting.
As a member I usually don't comment because simply & honestly, I'm lazy. In some cases a story may not be my cup of tea so I would be unlikely to comment. The story or writing may have been brillliant but I would feel awkward commenting.
Recently I gave a 4/5 score on an excellent story, typical of me because I'm the guy who gives 9/10, 99/100 (yeah THAT guy) Then a subsequent commenter posted a comment wondering why anyone would give less than a five. And just like that a lightbulb went on...
What qualifies me, with exactly zero stories posted, to be so scant with praise? The author in particular is one of the best so the 4/5 started to look pretty chintzy.
Mazza's comments above are spot on. As a recent poster of my first poem, receiving comments was especially gratifying and encouraging. You would think it obvious but it drove home to me the value of comments.
I usually read the writer's profile and will comment based on that eg new writer I would always want to be positive and encouraging in my comments, if the profile clearly suggests constructive criticism is requested than I might be a bit more direct.

Personally I am interested in receiving and would appreciate honest feedback, I know I have a lot to learn.

That's a really encouraging post!

It's funny isn't it? How actually writing and posting your own work changes your outlook?

I guess we crave the approval of our peers to some degree?

I know that lots of views and scores really make my day and I am stunned and filled with pleasure by the people who take the time to do so!

Some people will send a pm or an im as well, perhaps if they are too shy to comment publicly or if their comments are more critical in nature...

It's all good!

Lurker
0 likes
Part of my reason for posting this is to encourage readers to not only vote, but to leave comments. New writers need to hear both good and CONSTRUCTIVE, yet polite comments. I myself have written over 100 stories and welcome all feedback, even if the reader did not like it. Most of the time I write for myself, on occasion of written requests by fans, but in the end, feedback makes us better writers and persons. I realize we cannot please all readers, but it is appreciated when a reader takes the time to either vote or leave a comment. Most do not realize how much the writer appreciates it. I also try to thank every person who comments, even when it is a negative review.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
if i read it (as a non mod) and it keeps my attention to the end OR if i read it as a mod and it stand out, then it gets a vote and a comment. simple as that.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
I rarely don't vote unless I don't finish the story (and that's if it enters an area I'm personally not comfortable with or I have to leave before I can finish.)

I don't mind leaving a comment, but I don't like being "forced" to comment. I usually leave a comment if the story was really well written. However, I like the option. I'd rather leave a comment because I WANT to... and not because it's the only way I can vote.

I leave positive comments if I really like a story... if I don't or if I see some problems... I will send the writer a private message as the comments are public and can actually hurt a story's success if there are too many negative comments.

As my mother said, "If you can't say something nice... shut the hell up!"
The Linebacker
0 likes
I try my best to catch my friends stories and I always vote & comment. I sometimes vote & comment on other stories that catch my eye and seem like they might be interesting or I notice that a particular new author is getting a lot of positive attention. Yes i like to vote and comment. If I read it and don't like it I usually do not comment.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Often, with a particularly well-written story, I am too stuinned to comment. I read the story, and sit there saying to my self, "wow. just wow." And I am reminded of the feeling I used to have in college, when a professor said something astounding to me, or gave a particularly complex lecture, and then stopped and said, "Any questions?" At that time all I could think was, "I don't know enough to formulate a question." So I get that same feeling of - oh I don't know, for lack of a better description, call it inadequacy - after reading an exceptionally good story, or moving poem. SO I vote five, and set it aside for a day or two, to try to collect my thoughts, so that I can make a cogent comment.
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do vote and do leave a comment on nearly every story I read... if I like the Story... I will add the Author to my friends list a well..

Yesterday, one of the authors contacted me for leaving just a "THANK YOU" as a comment... and wanted to know what that THANK YOU meant.. :-)

To me personally, it takes quite an effort to write!!! (having published a couple of NON-FICTION, NON-EROTIC books) and any author, good or bad needs the encouragment to continue writting..

I will not leave a BAD comment for the whole world to see but I will make an effort to tell the Author exactly what I liked or disliked about the story... :-)

sometime, the author has even become defensive and not talked to me again after I voiced my opinion..

So, I am not one of the people who does not give feedback..
“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”
― Helen Keller
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by SirChameleon
Just wondering why you do not vote or leave a comment for the authors on the stories you read

Maybe because you write like shit and we're just being polite?

Maybe because we're too shy to state our thoughts?

Maybe because it's not you, but it's me?
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mazza

I do wish that people who leave a lower score, would also PM or leave a comment though, so that I can learn how to improve etc.

That is a wonderful Idea of sending PMs to tell the Author what ws good, bad or ugly about their story... but please go around and look at the Profiles here on LUSH... quite a few people are down right nasty in what they have written in the BIOs... basically telling the reader to F OFF and leave me alone.. (I am not talking about one of two profiles.. I have seen dozens of profiles like that)...

To someone new here on the site, this leaves a sense of uncertainity as to what the rude comment he / she will get back if he / she does try to contact the Author.

I have wanted to PM a few authors, to comment on their stories, but did not due to the HOSITILE comments on their BIOs I have moved on.

Love this site.. I come here often but this is one area which does make me very uncomfortable..
“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”
― Helen Keller
Clumeleon
0 likes
Sometimes I've found myself in the situation where I genuinely do not know what score to give a story. In those situations I leave a comment trying to articulate my feelings about the piece.

Other times, I've known exactly what score to give but have nothing to say about it. If I don't have anything constructive to say, I'd rather not comment at all.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
If I read a story through to the end and liked it, I always leave both a vote and comment. Occasionally I've just left a vote because I didn't have time to leave a comment or something distracted me or perhaps I just didn't have anything specific to say. I don't like leaving random "hey, great story" type remarks. I try to make them more personal so if I can't think of anything to say, I might just skip it. It'll still get a vote though.

I don't have an issue with what kind of feedback I receive on my own stories. Of course we all love comments, but whatever a reader feels comfortable with is fine by me - even when it's a public comment and no vote, just a vote, or just a personal PM. I'm grateful when someone takes the time to read and don't think there should be any pressure on them if they're not comfortable with leaving feedback.
Nerdzilla
0 likes
I don't always vote. I used to, when I first became a member. Then I realize how personally people take it and I stopped voting so much. Now I only vote when it's something I really liked or if it's an author I love. I should just say fuck it and vote what I feel, but I really hate hurting people's feelings.

...Now I'm reflecting on how I'd feel. I'd rather have votes on my stories. Even if it's a 3, I know people took the time to read and appreciate my effort enough to vote. Okay, okay. New Years resolution time. More votes from me.

Anyway. My comments are more rare. I only comment when I have a distinctive thought in my head after reading or if the story stays with me. This doesn't mean that if don't comment, I think the story sucks. Sometimes if the story strikes my fancy, I'm...busy....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mazza

I'd never do the thing where you force people to leave a comment if they want to vote though. I'd rather they voted/commented through choice, not because they felt they had to...

Fully agreed, I had a score of 2 given on one of my stories and I am DYING to know why when all the others were 4/5! If you're submitting stories online can you really be afraid of critisism?

Personally I choose to write stories here because its a lovely community and all feedback, good and bad goes to improving future tales.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Mazza
I love that anyone takes the time to read any of my stories (or even listen to the audios, which I've recorded for most of them)

Sometimes, people simply don't have the time to leave a comment or vote, or perhaps they aren't signed into Lush, or do not have an account.

Some people might not enjoy the story, or find it displeases them in some way and rather than offend the author, maybe they choose to say nothing.

Often times, people don't have anything to say, or maybe don't know how to say it - they just enjoy reading...

I really love it when people vote on my stories and if they go to the bother of leaving a comment, well that really makes my day!! (I try to respond to those who do, just to say thanks for doing it)

Well said Mazza,

I agree, just want to add, comments (good or bad) and votes are always welcome on my work, they are only indicators for me, they help me know how I can improve. They are never expected.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I will almost always leave a comment on a story i've read and enjoyed. I very rarely score stories, it seems pretty pointless to be honest - if I do it's usually to give an under-valued or new writer an extra 5 to help them on a bit.

Having looked at a couple of pieces of yours I'd have to say I'd struggle to finish them through choice and consequently would neither comment nor score. Your writing doesn't suit me - when you're not writing in second person - which I almost always find weak and awful, no matter who is writing - you're sentences are choppy, far too basic, or tiresomely cliched, breaking the flow and giving the whole thing a naive quality that isn't particularly arousing or titillating. You also flick between past and present - it's annoying. Constructive enough for you?

At any time less than 5% of the visitors on this site are signed in - you have to assume then for every 1000 views your story gets less than 50 are going to be from people who CAN actually leave a comment. Those 50 are going to be the most difficult to please. If 1 in 10 of those leave a comment, you're doing well.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
oh crap as usual i missed the point here..lmao...ignore me

if you read it vote for crap sake!!
Lurker
0 likes
Usually because I'm not logged in!
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
If I finish a story, odds are I'll vote and leave a comment. As I understand 'Gav's World' every time someone clicks on a story, it's counted as a view. Do wish there was a way to count the number of folks who actually finish a story.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
If I finish a story, odds are I'll vote and leave a comment. As I understand 'Gav's World' every time someone clicks on a story, it's counted as a view. Do wish there was a way to count the number of folks who actually finish a story.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I wish more people Would comment, lol.
I'm fairly self-conscious in my writing, and would be thrilled to receive more feedback, constructive criticism, etc.

As for me personally, I almost always leave a vote and comment. I just don't read that much on here, even though I enjoy this place.
" 'He rubbed her shoulders sensually,' what the Hell is that? That isn't sexy. You can't do somebody in the shoulder!"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I only vote if I find it a 4 or 5, and if I have time or really like the story I'll leave a comment.
Lower than a 4 I wont vote, I don't like to vote low/ down.

My first story is being edited now, so now I've experienced how difficult it was to change the pics in my mind to proper ánd sexy English.
Even without the language translation thing it's quite difficult haha, but ok, it's my very first so I hope it will become easier and that readers will leave constructive comments.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I only vote if I find it a 4 or 5, and if I have time or really like the story I'll leave a comment.
Lower than a 4 I wont vote, I don't like to vote low/ down.

My first story is being edited now, so now I've experienced how difficult it was to change the pics in my mind to proper ánd sexy English.
Even without the language translation thing it's quite difficult haha, but ok, it's my very first so I hope it will become easier and that readers will leave constructive comments.
Lurker
0 likes
I will vote and comment on stories I read. At times, I"ll send a PM to the author to provide him/her with more insight on the score given or praise the fantastic work. It only seems natural to me as an author here to give as well as receive smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'll vote for and comment on anything I have time to read. To me the story is something intimate being shared. Even if isn't written well, I still appreciate that the author put themself out there. Honestly if I have a problem with the story, I'll PM the author.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set her free." -Michelangelo

Please Enjoy: The Beach, The Workout, The Hike
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Most times I vote on a story without a comment. I sometimes write the author in a PM if I have something to say.
Lurker
0 likes
Apathy, usually. I almost always vote if I read a story. It only takes a second, after all. But unless I really care about a story, there's not much for me to say. Now, if people make it so I have to comment in order to vote, I'll do it out of spite. Otherwise, though, unless I really love a story, I just don't have anything to share.