Coconut Oil

last reply
21 replies
4.1k views
0 watchers
1 like
Matriarch
0 likes
I was recommended coconut oil by a dietitian, and after overcoming my initial dislike of the texture / taste (DIY Gokkun anyone?), I take a spoon of it every few days now.

It really helps keep my digestive system in balance.

From beating sugar cravings to aiding weight loss, there are more benefits of coconut oil than most of us may realise.

1. All fats are not created equal - Coconut oil contains short term medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCFAs), which is a "healthy" form saturated fat compared to trans fat. Trans fatty acid consumption is linked with heart problems, depression and increased cholesterol levels. What does consuming MCFA fats in coconut oil mean for your body? Our body metabolises these fats in the liver, immediately coverting this into energy (fuel for the brain and muscle function) rather than it being stored as fat.

2. Controls weight - One 2009 study looked at the weight loss link between women's consumption of coconut oil and found that it reduces abdominal obesity. Researchers discovered coconut oil is easy to digest and also protects the body from insulin resistance. To try coconut oil for weight loss start by adding one teaspoon to your diet and gradually work your way up to four teaspoons per day.

3. Eases digestion - If you suffer from poor digestion or tummy bloating try adding coconut oil to your diet. Coconut oil has been found to benefit digestive disorders including irritable bowel syndrome and microbial related tummy bugs. Fatty acids in coconut oil contain anti microbial properties, which have a soothing affect on bacteria, candida, or parasites that cause poor digestion.

4. Manage type 2 diabetes - A recent study by the Garvan Institute of Medical Research found that coconut oil protects against insulin resistance, reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes. MCFA fats are small enough to be absorbed into the cells where they're quickly converted to energy. It is this process that not only reduces the amount of fat we pack into storage, but improves insulin sensitivity.

5. Supports immunity - Coconut oil is made up of healthy fats lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acid which contain antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral prosperities to boost the immune system. Lauric acid contains the highest concentration of MCFA fatty acids, approximately 75 per cent. The body turn this fat into monolaurin which is claimed to help heal viruses such as herpes, influenza, cytomegalovirus, helicobacter pylori and candida.

6. Boost metabolism - A study reported in the Journal of Nutrition found that coconut oil boosts metabolism. Researchers found that participants who consumed two tablespoons of coconut oil per day burned more kilojoules than those who consumed less. A speedy metabolism helps boost the body's immune system and keep weight off.

Full article >> http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/food+diet/nutrition/10+facts+about+coconut+oil,18271
Lurker
0 likes
I've also heard that coconut helps people that suffer from IBS and digestive problems. It's easily absorbed into the body.
Matriarch
0 likes
Well, I frequently drink more wine than is considered healthy, and it does have consequences. The coconut oil really helps maintain a healthy gut, and is good for removing toxins from your system.

http://www.naturalnews.com/026529_coconut_oil.html

Coconut oil is largely comprised of medium-chain fatty acids, which are sent directly to the liver for energy rather than storage. This type of fat is ideal for a cleanse, since it can provide the energy needed at a time when less food is being consumed.

These same medium-chain fatty acids play a crucial role in cleansing the body from toxins. Coconut oil is heralded as a natural health food, and a coconut oil detox simply speeds up healing results by thoroughly flushing the entire body of toxins in a short time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's about a year now that I use coconut oil mostly for cooking. It’s actually essential for this use, since the smoke point (when oil breaks down) is very high. Therefore coconut oil is stable and also very dense, I found that I use much less oil.

I thought it would impart a “coconut” flavor to anything, but it does not. I use extra virgin coconut oil, however I was told that the term virgin should not apply to coconut oil. I have never, so far ingested coconut oil regularly with a spoon. I will try... If you see or feel a difference in your body please do post. Thanks.

Common misconception is to use (as I did forever) Extra Virgin Olive Oil for cooking, being regarded as an healthy oil and it is but only if consumed raw.

Hey, we’re educating ourselves one drink and one bite at a time.

ps other oils to use for cooking are: macadamia and safflower.
Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks for sharing ladies! Great stuff. I'm going to try it in smoothies.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
i love coconut oil! i use it for hair conditioner, body oil, food smile its great for everything! like dancing doll said its good to add to smoothies i also use it as a substitute for butter because im vegan so i have it on popcorn and anywhere i would usually use butter
Lurker
0 likes
Hmm, I'll have to try it myself. Right now I mostly use Frantoia olive oil. I absolutely love the flavor.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i use this for everything from my skin to drinks (hot tea/coffee and smoothies) i use it instead of butter on snacks and foods...i find it wonderful but i grew up on it. i will admit when you use it, it takes some time to adjust to taste...if you want it in coffee, try a blender or bullet, will make your coffee frothy some but others adjust better that way!

the healthy benefits are amazing for it!

heres a great link with suggestions of use and reasons why to try smile

http://wellnessmama.com/2072/benefits-of-coconut-oil/
my newest :)
Lurker
0 likes
I love coconut everything it seems and remember as a kid, begging my father for the coconut juice when he bought a coconut.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have a tub of organic coconut oil next to my bed.. Slather it on daily... A different tub in the kitchen. I recently purchased coconut vinegar .. Yet to try
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Rediscovering additional uses for coconut oil. I've relegated to hair/scalp massage aid.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I put a spoonful of coconut oil in my coffee every morning and some of my female friends put it in their hair and claim it's wonderful for keeping it moist.

I also make popcorn with it and NEVER get an upset stomach from eating popcorn cooked that way.

It's too bad the medical community doesn't tout the natural cures rather than the drugs they make so much money on....
Great minds think alike but dirty minds work together.... ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by HappyEndings
I put a spoonful of coconut oil in my coffee every morning...

It's too bad the medical community doesn't tout the natural cures rather than the drugs they make so much money on....

Just wondering why put oil in your coffee.
Certain Asian medical personnel acknowledge the effectiveness of natural remedies.
Active Ink Slinger
1 like
Good as a hair conditioner

Art can never exist without naked beauty displayed.
Buxom Enigma
0 likes
My daughter used to get this terrible diaper rash before she finally got the hang of potty-training, and NOTHING we used OTC seemed to help it. A friend of my mother's that does holistic medicine suggested coconut oil, and we said "Why not?" Within TWO DAYS the rash was GONE.

We also found that it's an awesome soothing agent for burns, and any type of rash or irritation. I'm a big girl, and tend to develop a heat rash in the summer time with elastic bands, and coconut oil clears the irritation up in a flash.

Mixed with a little favorite flavoring and frozen, it makes a tasty lip balm/moisturizer, too!
"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader - not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." -E.L. Doctorow
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Usually have only used it for oil pulling and hair conditioning. Pricey for that purpose, but much better than rank regular oil.

I might have to do this as well.
Lurker
0 likes
I've used it as a body lotion and for my hair mainly. But I do drink coconut water very often and eat coconut too.
0 likes

When I used to work, I used to make my very hot morning coffee in a 16 oz thermal cup with a lid:

8 oz light roast coffee

6 oz heavy whipping cream

2 tbsp salted butter

2 tbsp coconut oil

Too keep the temperature up microwave my coffee to keep it around 212 F

I HAD fatty liver, had/have: IBS-D, Type 2 Diabetes (was not on insulin at that time, but am now), overweight, and anxiety with other medical issues. Right away I noticed that my appetite was COMPLETELY gone and the only thing I consumed for days was my coffee and water. I would shake my coffee before sipping and would sip my coffee throughout the first 4 hours of my day. I also noticed that my daily morning fog was gone and my thought processes were MUCH FASTER, and my anxieties were fewer and persisting ones were easier to manage. I lost 9 lbs in one week and 32 in 30 days! My metabolism had increased and I got to the point where I felt like I was moving and doing everything a a speed higher than everyone and everything around me. I suspect that this recipe was also what aided me in getting rid of my fatty liver.

Should any of you decide to try my recipe, please let me know how/if it helps you?

Best to you all!

JAM

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Quote by SubmissiveAngel
Good as a hair conditioner

Nice