How do you do it?

last reply
17 replies
2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I used to have a friend to work out with but ever since he went off living his own life with his family, I can't find the will to work out anymore. I just find it extremely BORING. I want to do it but I know I'll just get tired of it and stop. How do you stay motivated?
NUMQUAM FIDES CATELLUS!!!
Lurker
0 likes
I look in the mirror and go... you will gain all that weight back! That is my motivation!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I suggest setting yourself some achievable goals, say with a six month horizon. Then define the discrete objectives (perhaps weekly, or biweekly) that will lead you towards this goal. WRITE IT DOWN! Make a checklist and WRITE ON THE CHECKLIST. Engaging yourself in this manner will help push you into action. One example is set a goal to run a 5K whereby you need to run a certain number of miles each week. (There's plenty of planning tips online).

Good luck.
0 likes
I exercise at home and am working my way through various TV shows as I ride my stationary bike. That helps.

My blood glucose and blood pressure are both borderline to slightly high so getting those under control and keeping them from turning into major health issues is another motivator.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do it well.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
When I get into a rut, I start signing up for classes - kickboxing, pilates, yoga, spin class, butt blasting (yes, that IS an actual class!). I find the variation and learning something new keeps my mind occupied and prevents boredom. Or you can try individual sessions with a personal trainer - that's definitely motivating.

You could also see about setting a goal like a half marathon or triathlon and then train towards that.

I've always been pretty active so it's just part of my routine, but sure sometimes doing the same thing gets boring, so you definitely have to vary it up. There's lots of ways to stay active and get exercise that are fun too. In the summer go for tennis, in the winter try indoor courts or squash. If you live near the water, paddleboarding or rowing is great as well.

With a lot of these activities you'll meet new people as well and that'll also help keep the momentum going if you're missing your workout buddy and find that it helps keep you focused.

As well, this might sound like a simple thing, but even downloading some new work-out music to your iPod can give you that little kickstart for a while.
The Linebacker
0 likes
For me its a lifestyle choice. I have been into athletics and a fitness freak for so long I feel extremely guilty if I miss a workout. I travel a lot with my job and I make myself do push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, squats and so forth in the hotel room. Many hotels have a gym and I use those. At home I work out with weights at the gym, run or bicycle every day. One way to meet my goals is to continually enter 5k, 10k, half-marathons, triathlons, or bicycle races. Occasionally I enter bench press contests also. It works for me. You will feel better and may be happier if you get onto a fitness routine and stay with it.
Lurker
0 likes
I cycle every day and do about 120 miles a week " I Luv It "
Lurker
0 likes
I try to remember the big picture: keeping in shape is all about my health as well as my overall well being. I am a much more contented person when I take the time to nourish my body by challenging it and making it move. Even if I don't feel like working out that day, I do it anyways and I always feel incredible afterwards. And switching it up is key; boredom kills all desire... whether with work outs or in the bedroom
Lurker
0 likes
Its christmas day and ive done 25 miles on the bike today i jus love cycling !
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
im with dancing doll on this one... i just HATE lifting weights in the gym... or treadmills....

so i just sign up for classes and do something outdoors as well like cycling, hiking, swimming etc
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
All great ideas. Thanks for the advice.
NUMQUAM FIDES CATELLUS!!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
my biggest motivation are my children.. the longer I can be fit and healthy.. the longer I can look at their happy similing faces.. SIMPLE :-)
“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”
― Helen Keller
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am one that gets bored pretty quickly when it comes to exercise which is why, up until this year, I've never been much of a gym girl but rather enjoyed playing sports (was a huge tomboy and jock in school) or sign up for classes either with friends or alone. Having been pretty inactive and unmotivated the last 3-4 years mainly due to feeling in the dumps about the fail of my marriage, I kind of feel like I'm starting from scratch again with getting back into shape. Realizing this and my attention span with gyms but a sincere desire to get fit, I decided to make an investment in myself for the first time and hired a personal trainer three times a week. We talked about what I wanted to get out of the training, what my goals were and then set some like running in a couple of races this summer and fall. Most of my friends are too busy with their own lives to join me so I took matters into my own hands. It hasn't been easy and I still have a long ways to go but it has kept me accountable and motivated especially when i can talk with my trainer whenever I'm struggling with staying motivated. Its been wonderful so far and I'm excited about the woman I'm reuniting with.

If you can swing it financially, I highly recommend it atleast until you gget into a routine and get comfy with working out and with yourself in terms of doing it without your buddies in toe.
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Everyone's different! But for me, its making exercise part of my daily routine and actually booking in time for that, so it seems natural after a while. Best of luck! smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
At times I am really tired and just want to stay home. But I decide to go anyway and say to myself just do a light workout. But even though I struggle to get through my first set of what ever body part I am working on that day once I feel my body warming up and my blood starts to flow I start to get into it. I have even surprised myself at times. The days when I said I would take light have been some of my better workouts.

I find the energy to push myself harder and add more weight and get more sets in. I walk out of the gym feeling good that I did not stay home and come up with an excuse not to go. Just get the ball rolling and when you want to stop just say to yourself just go alittle bit more and before you know it you will have finished your workout.
Lurker
0 likes
If I pay for something I want to get my money's worth out of it so I go. Gym memberships, races, training groups, etc. I also find if I tell people about my goal I achieve it rather than make excuses why I didn't do it. July 4 will be the first anniversary of running a Half Marathon. It will also be number eight in twelve months. Last years goal was to finish alive and under a 10 minute pace. This year I hope to beat my PR and do an sub 9 pace.
Lurker
0 likes
What swpmexec and Dancing Doll have said above, I can attest to.

But one thing I have done from a very early age, that has helped me here and in just about everything in life: It is to develop will power. Yes, it is a challenge to do it to start with. But I believe it has to do with our personal decision to not wallow in self-pity, and to just confront life itself with some fortitude.
My friends say I have the words "Put Me In Coach" on my forehead. So, get some game! Get it done! You would be amazed at what you can do!