A Man Is Pushed on The Subway Track...

last reply
15 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes

The New York Post and freelance photographer R. Umar Abbasi are under pressure today for publishing a disturbing photo of Ki Suk Han who is seconds away from his death by an oncoming Q subway train on the front page of its paper. Many New Yorkers including myself are prompting questions about why R. Umar Abbasi did not try to help save the man’s life. It is amazing what ignorant people in the media will do to sell newspapers!
Innocent Puck Bunnii
0 likes
I thought he was trying to used the flash of his camera to stop the train or something? That's what i heard at work today.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
It's called the Bystander Effect. Nobody wants to get involved when they can pass the buck of responsibility onto someone else.

From what I heard, the mentally ill perpetrator had been arguing with the victim before shoving him. Other people had obviously taken notice because one person quoted the victim as saying "you're scaring everyone now" to the aggressor before he got pushed.

I was on the subway once and a deranged homeless man with a shopping cart filled with garbage bags came onto the subway and quickly zero'd in on me, pushing the cart back and forth in front of me, doing the whole skeevy "hey, Blondie" thing and muttering disgusting things. All I could do was avoid eye contact and hope he would leave me alone. That subway was full (it was evening rush hour). Everyone ignored what he was doing.

I got off at my stop and he followed me with the cart. The stop was semi-crowded with plenty of able-bodied business men and in an affluential busy area of the city. This guy basically chased me down the subway platform, weaving behind me with the shopping cart, trying to cut me off. I remember being shocked that nobody was intervening or attempting to help. One of my fears was that he would use the cart to push me onto the tracks. Finally as I neared a dead-end, an older woman in a long fur coat came to my aid, asking if I was ok and saying that she had seen what was going on. When the lunatic saw me with her, he quickly exited the subway station to avoid trouble.

It was an interesting wake-up call. Sometimes the more people in an area when something happens, the less likely anyone is apt to take action or get involved. And when they do, it's probably the people that you least expect.

In this case in NYC, surely though there had to be some physically able-bodied people who would gotten that surge of adrenaline and not thought twice about trying to help. That subway platform looks empty - not even one person trying to get near enough to help pull him over. But yet plenty are able to give details of the argument that preceded it and take out a camera to snap photos. I do think it was in very poor taste to publish the photo as well. Anything to make a buck, it seems.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by Makavelli
Many New Yorkers including myself are prompting questions about why R. Umar Abbasi did not try to help save the man’s life.

I think it's unfortunately, as DD said, a case of group paralysis. For whatever reason, the more people are around an atrocity, the less likely it is that anyone will come to aid. But even if the photographer (who, as kaikai said, hit flash multiple times to try to get the train conductor's attention) was the only one in a position to help, I'd stop short of vilifying him for not doing so. After all, much like a scenario where somebody witnesses a mugging or other violent crime in progress, helping him may very well put him in equal harms way. What if in the process of trying to pull the man from the tracks, he instead gets pulled down as well? Not only is that a valid concern for one's own loss of life, but what if he also has children or other family that depend on him in some way? What's gained in that scenario, where one dead becomes two?

That's not to minimize the amazingly noble and selfless sacrifice that somebody would've made had they put their life on the line to try to save that man. This is why we revere military servicepeople, firefighters, and police, for what they're prepared to do on a daily basis. But I think there are clear (self-preservation) and not-so-clear but nevertheless documented (group paralysis) reasons why it doesn't always happen.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I read somewhere today that there is video of the whole thing. The article said that from the time the man was pushed off the platform until the Subway train hit him, there were 22 seconds. More than enough time, I'd think, for one or two people to grab the man by the arms and hoist him out of there. It's awful that no one came to his aid. The thoughts that must have been going through his head as that train approached? The horror of his own impending death and the even more horrific thought of blank faces watching die. Shameful all the say around.

I also read that the photographer was flashing to try to get the attention of the driver. He shouldn't be held any more accountable than anyone else on the platform.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This was very bad taste to publish the photo. But the 3 words on the top of the page, New York Post are synonymous with bad taste.

I have been on NYC (and its not limited to NY, sure it happens everywhere) subways many times and have seen people getting harrassed, homeless men pissing, even saw a guy jerk off once in front of a woman and her young daughter and no one said or did anything, including me. I guess we hear about the heinous things that can happen and we all are afraid to act. Although if I saw someone being attacked and not just harrassed, I like to think I would do something.

But like was already said, the guy was more interested in getting his picture published then helping out. Maybe we really do need a Good Samaritan Law like they had in Seinfeld!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister
I read somewhere today that there is video of the whole thing. The article said that from the time the man was pushed off the platform until the Subway train hit him, there were 22 seconds. More than enough time, I'd think, for one or two people to grab the man by the arms and hoist him out of there. It's awful that no one came to his aid. The thoughts that must have been going through his head as that train approached? The horror of his own impending death and the even more horrific thought of blank faces watching die. Shameful all the say around.

I also read that the photographer was flashing to try to get the attention of the driver. He shouldn't be held any more accountable than anyone else on the platform.

I heard there was more than a minute before the train hit him.

I disagree about who is more accountable. This guy was more interested in making money then helping, what's worse that that? He can say he was trying to flash the train or get a pic of the guy so the police could catch him but sorry, I dont believe it for a second.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703
This was very bad taste to publish the photo.

That much I agree with. I get squeamish from even glancing at it. sad
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There were witnesses to this? It looks like a posed photo from a disreputable tabloid, but if it really happened it's shameful that no one tried to help.

I'd be trying to climb out as opposed to staring at the train like a trapped deer.yybpLD1rhghjYhkk
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by tazznjazz
There were witnesses to this? It looks like a posed photo from a disreputable tabloid, but if it really happened it's shameful that no one tried to help.

I'd be trying to climb out as opposed to staring at the train like a trapped deer.s6KiwI87Wch23Zi0 [/quote

It is most definitely REAL! Not as easy to climb out as you may think. You need to be pretty strong to pull yourself up, only his head was above the platform.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
just curious - don't they have some sort of crawl space where you can curl up if you fall onto the tracks, like a little recess under the platform? i think BART does this... i'm 100% sure, tho. and yeah, why the hell didn't a couple of someones run over and grab his hands and pull? i like to think that i would have at least tried to help.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

I heard there was more than a minute before the train hit him.

I disagree about who is more accountable. This guy was more interested in making money then helping, what's worse that that? He can say he was trying to flash the train or get a pic of the guy so the police could catch him but sorry, I dont believe it for a second.

I think they should all be accountable, I'm not letting him off the hook totally. He shouldn't be held any less accountable either. Anyone who did nothing to at least attempt to help the guy should be held accountable for being a douchebag. They should all feel responsible for his death.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
This is truly a terrible story. As someone who works for NYC transit I have to say that pulling someone off the tracks from the platform is truly a difficult job. Usually platforms are 4 1/2 feet above the rails so climbing up onto them will take great upper body strength. While I hope anyone reading this is never in this position I am going to impart a little knowledge about the best ways to evacuate safely. If you are physically able to at the end of either side of the platform is a ladder( try to walk in the direction the train is traveling). Sometimes it is built into the wall, sometimes it's a traditional ladder. Climb to safety, you will get filthy, clothes will be ruined but it is still better then the alternative. Secondly, if you find yourself on the tracks and the tunnel is lit up, there is a train approaching. There is room between most tracks that contain columns. Step over the 3rd rail (or on it as there is a wooden protection board on top), make yourself as flat as possible and the train will not be able to reach you. It's scary as shit, the train is huge but again your safe. Finally as a last resort, if the train is bearing down. In between the rails is a trough or drainage ditch. it's filthy and usually wet, but the lowest point on any train is the wheels.If you can make yourself flat enough the train will actually roll over you. I know panic takes over in most cases, but a level head will save your life. I imagine these tips will hold true in most transit systems. As for the "CRAZIES" I have had my share of run-ins with these people. Guess what? A large percentage of them are not crazy, just assholes. Stand up to them, scream at them, make a scene and they will leave you alone. Unless you see me, then ask me for help. Nothing brightens my day more then dragging these people out by their collars. To all Lushies out there, be safe and sound.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Many call it "The NY com-Post" for a reason.
Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by joecap
While I hope anyone reading this is never in this position I am going to impart a little knowledge about the best ways to evacuate safely.

Thanks for this, Joe.

I had no idea about anything you just typed.

I like to think I'd try to help someone in that situation, but I'd be afraid that the frantic person might pull me down and into the trench too.

I could have done without reading about this story the other day.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Detention Seeker
0 likes
This is gutter press in it's lowest form he may well have a family somewhere even if possibly estranged from them, just think of how they might feel finding out this way.