Do you appreciate wine?

last reply
59 replies
5.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Anyone else appreciate good wine? What are your two favorite wines or the two BEST bottles you have ever had? For myself the best bottle of French I've ever had is a 1983 Palmer that was simply amazing and glorious. I had it with dinner at the Petrus Restaurant in Hong Kong overlooking the city skyline. For a USA wine the best ever would have to be a 1996 Shafer Hillside Select. So rich and silky!!
Constant Gardener
0 likes
After the first two goblets, it all pretty much tastes the same to my uncultured palate.
Perhaps a bit rough to swallow at first, but then again...I am not a social imbiber, when I'm getting my drink on.

$14.00 for a 5 liter plastic bag of fermented grape sauce...or that high dollar product grown & produced by dudes like Jack? Hmmm...

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes

Some have better tastes. 1996, Sattui.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by flytoomuch
Anyone else appreciate good wine? What are your two favorite wines or the two BEST bottles you have ever had? For myself the best bottle of French I've ever had is a 1983 Palmer that was simply amazing and glorious. I had it with dinner at the Petrus Restaurant in Hong Kong overlooking the city skyline. For a USA wine the best ever would have to be a 1996 Shafer Hillside Select. So rich and silky!!

Love it. Two favorite wineries are Archery Summit and Leonetti. I really enjoy the Pinot from the first and Cab from the second.
Though I haven't really gotten into French as much as I feel I'd like, I have fallen for really good Malbec.
Comments and suggestions of my stories are always welcome.
Thanks, Scott

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/into-the-woods.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I recently had a dinner where I was introduced to the new wines by Marchese Lodovico Antinori, founder of Tenuta dell’Ornellaia, a chateau named Tenuta di Biserno. The wine I had was named Insoglio del Cinghiale and it is the foundation wine of Tenuta di Biserno. NOT EXPENSIVE AT ALL and extremely well made. I had the 2008 which RP gave 91 Points. The wine's name was inspired by one of the well-known works of Eugenio Cecconi, "La caccia al cinghiale nel padule di Burano," which means, "the boar shooting in the Burano marsh." Cecconi, a celebrated Italian post-impressionist, was a personal friend of Lodovico Antinori's grandfather, Piero Antinori. The Antinori family are, of course, renown in Italy for their exceptional wines. Cinghiale is especially meaningful to Tuscans because it has been a staple in the Tuscan diet for centuries, and, not surprisingly, a wonderful match for the rich, robust taste of Insoglio del Cinghiale.

Concentrated ruby color with purple hues. The nose is intensely fruity with a hint of spicy oak. The palate is balanced and harmonious, with rich fruit and a good backbone of tannins. Insoglio del Cinghiale will gain in complexity over the years if you store it, but it is certainly smooth and silky enough to drink a 2008 or 2009 now.

I really liked this wine and the price is a steal for the quality.

Varietal Composition: 35% Syrah, 30% Cabernet Franc, 30% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot
The Linebacker
0 likes
I have tasted some extremely expensive wines, toured the wine country of France and all, but my all time favorite came from my granndad's north Georgia mountain grapes.

I'm so cultured, like cultured butternilk.4MeleAPXiyReu96l

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
pinot from McKinley vineyard, any year / Argyle champagne, 2008
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Highwayman

Some have better tastes. 1996, Sattui.

If you've not tried their 1980 Preston Vineyard Cab, I'd recommend it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've about 168 bottles in the Vinotemp. I can't say I've a single favorite, but have had many excellent wines over the years. Any Napa cab from 1985 is likely to be very good, plus there are great estates in Bordeaux, but I'd have to look those up in my wine diary.
Matriarch
0 likes
After spending the last week in Melbourne, eating and drinking out every single night, I don't think I can face talking about wine right now!

Penfolds Grange is probably the nicest drop I've had out of Australia (best use the company account for that one...). Another Australian winemaker I like is D'Arenberg, with The Footbolt Shiraz perhaps being my favourite (reasonably priced too).

You must get a fair amount of Australian wine over in Hong Kong, John?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i've always been a fan of Night Train and Thunderbird...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i've always been a fan of Night Train and Thunderbird...

The Oscar Peterson Trio? Great album!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Does this count? After all, it started out as wine...

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Who doesn't enjoy a nice glass with friends?
Detention Seeker
0 likes
Wine is o.k but give me whine and then were really talking
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes, I do enjoy wines. I’m not going to go into specific since my taste, although getting better and recognizing subtle aromas, it is still uneducated. I enjoy mostly reds and some whites.

I like very much a Barbera with dinner. The palatable Amarone is however my favorite. Shiraz is another. For a white I would go with a Chablis and not a fan of Pinot.

New York has some good and inexpensive wines as it was reported a few years ago. I would not drink the $30 per gallon jugs, as someone once said “wine can be made also with grapes”.
Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

This is my favorite by far. My family goes through multiple bottles every holiday.
Lurker
0 likes
It has to be red!

As for grape I'm a new world fan, the taste is easily comparable with more expensive old world.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As a collector of fine red wines and single malts, there are many favourites, but if I had to choose it would be:-

The 1983 Zonnebloem is a dark ruby red wine packed with lime, cherry and cassis aromas with subtle hints of vanilla and oak spices.
It is a full-bodied wine with a lively fruity palate and good tannic structure.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When Nicola drops in and "name drops" a "GRANGE" bomb.......haha we're talking serious coin gentlemen??? Let's assume our date is wearing a Roberto Cavalli "Little Black Dress" and some nice Cartier jewelry? Grange? Seriously? For me it is over-priced. I'm going to suggest we go for a 1996 D'Arenberg "Dead Arm" and spend the money we saved on her new lingerie outfit? Hey that's just me. Oh Nicola's treat on the CORPORATE ACCOUNT? Really? Okay, let's order a Magnum of 1990 Grange then? Otherwise let's order the "Dead Arm" and shop for lingerie.

http://www.bidforwine.co.uk/photos/0003/0426/005.JPG?1343307606
Site administrator
0 likes
I have a glass or two of wine most nights. I typically drink French because I like a dry wine although many years ago I enjoyed full bodied reds such as a Rioja. My favourites now are a Chablis or Sancerre in white and a Fleurie or good Beaujolais in red. OMG ... I did this post without being silly whatsoever !!.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by flytoomuch
When Nicola drops in and "name drops" a "GRANGE" bomb.......haha we're talking serious coin gentlemen??? Let's assume our date is wearing a Roberto Cavalli "Little Black Dress" and some nice Cartier jewelry? Grange? Seriously? For me it is over-priced. I'm going to suggest we go for a 1996 D'Arenberg "Dead Arm" and spend the money we saved on her new lingerie outfit? Hey that's just me. Oh Nicola's treat on the CORPORATE ACCOUNT? Really? Okay, let's order a Magnum of 1990 Grange then? Otherwise let's order the "Dead Arm" and shop for lingerie.

http://www.bidforwine.co.uk/photos/0003/0426/005.JPG?1343307606

Hey, I didn't say it would be my corporate account! I prefer the lingerie option
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Penfolds Grange is probably the nicest drop I've had out of Australia (best use the company account for that one...). Another Australian winemaker I like is D'Arenberg, with The Footbolt Shiraz perhaps being my favourite (reasonably priced too).

Now you see it, now you don't. Isn't it funny how quickly the "company account" credit card disappears when someone expresses genuine enthusiasm for a Magnum of 1990 Grange? Haha well better see which of my clients I can stuff that little gem into? You certainly are a woman of contrasts jumping from Grange straight into Footbolt? A man would certainly be kept on his toes with you around to confuse him. I totally agree however. Different wines for different occasions and if a wine is good, pull the cork (or in the case of modern Australia...twist the cap) and pour the wine out. You don't drink the price tag and since there are so many well made wines at a reasonable price, why forego all that lingerie you could buy with the money you save?? I guess I'll wait until I'm with someone who really wants to show off their black credit card and then I'll softly suggest that a wine expert I know in Australia by the name of Nicola highly recommends Penfold's Grange and see if he falls for it.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by flytoomuch
Now you see it, now you don't. Isn't it funny how quickly the "company account" credit card disappears when someone expresses genuine enthusiasm for a Magnum of 1990 Grange? Haha well better see which of my clients I can stuff that little gem into? You certainly are a woman of contrasts jumping from Grange straight into Footbolt? A man would certainly be kept on his toes with you around to confuse him. I totally agree however. Different wines for different occasions and if a wine is good, pull the cork (or in the case of modern Australia...twist the cap) and pour the wine out. You don't drink the price tag and since there are so many well made wines at a reasonable price, why forego all that lingerie you could buy with the money you save?? I guess I'll wait until I'm with someone who really wants to show off their black credit card and then I'll softly suggest that a wine expert I know in Australia by the name of Nicola highly recommends Penfold's Grange and see if he falls for it.

You crack me up!

I don't claim to be a wine expert, but I DO appreciate quality...in most things
Lurker
0 likes
I appreciate it's ability to get me sozzled in record time...

Purveyor of Sweetness
0 likes
i like reds mainly.... the two i have had that i enjoyed most were a joel gott cabernet and villa mt. eden pinot noir...

but i am always willing to taste something new....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think the best wine I ever had has to be a toss up between several. Penfolds Bin 389 was pretty darned good, as was a 2001 Barolo, the name of which escapes me at the moment. As Nicola mentioned, the Grange" was pretty tastey, too.. Another favorite was the first Sin Zin offering (as I recall, that was 2000) from Russian River Valley, and Cliquot Grande Dame of the same vintage.

Nowadays, I am no longer making well into the six figure income bracket, so have to stick to wines at $25.00 a bottle or less, unless it is a super special occasion and I splurge. So for everyday "burger" wine, I usually settle for a box of some sort of cab or merlot from California.

(N.B. It was a whale of a sight easier going up than it was coming back down.)
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Lurker
0 likes
I'm no wine buff, I drink what I like whether is the run of the mill cheapo stuff from a carton or the expensive posh stuff. I prefer white to red and I commit the ultimate sin of keeping my red in the fridge because I like it cold. I like the south African wines which is what we get the most of here and I recently discovered the wines from the Boschendal Estate in Franschhoek, my favorite at the moment is Le Bouquet.
0 likes
I do appreciate wine especially red wine. I prefer red wine to white. Oh my favorite red wines are, merlot, cabernet sauvignon, chianti, and pinot noir.
Lurker
0 likes
Yes......Red, Malbec or a good Shiraz..