Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Why do so few story views result in a score/comment?

last reply
20 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Penguin
0 likes
I'm bored and I was just wondering. For example, the story with the most views, which is 329,000+ and counting has received just 98 scores. That means that only one in 3,359 people who viewed the story bothered to vote.

I think it might be random guests who aren't eligible to vote but just asking if anyone has any definite theories on this?

Thanks

Danielle x

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Princess Blondie
0 likes
I'm not a writer on Lush, I really have no desire to. But I do read, I read a lot and I always score and comment when I do. Even if it's not the best scores or the best comments I take the time to do so. Why else do people have the scoring and comments there. They want to know what we think as the readers. It doesn't take more then a few seconds to leave a comment and a score. I think it's just laziness. I don't think it's just "guests" either. I think it's members as well. People need to take the time to actually do this for our writers. Show them you appreciate their work.
†Jinxy Approved†

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The scoring system tends to discourage written comments. Voting is anonymous. Writing comments attributes the assessment to a specific member. If we make constructive comments we assist no only the writer/story being reviewed but the other authors reading the comments. Most of the time when scoring a story I take the time to write a comment.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I read a lot of stories on Lush and unfortunately I sometimes forget to score and comment on the story. Many times I read multiple stories in one session so I go onto the next story and intend to go back and comment but then I forget.

Many times too I find the story to be such a turn on I get "occupied" after reading and never get back to scoring it. Actually that is the best comment I probably could give since it really turned me on, LOL!!

I really need to make a better effort at scoring every story I read. The authors work hard on the writings and deserve to know what we think!!
Mazztastic
0 likes
I've noticed this too. Some people just don't like/bother to vote and then to go on and comment takes even longer, so they don't do it.

Just clicking on a story will generate a view, so sometimes a reader may click on a story by accident, or just decide that it's not what they want to read at that time. Or perhaps they might really like the story and go back to read it again, but of course, you can only vote once.

Sometimes the author themself will view their story and that generates a view as well...

Also a lot of the readers might not be logged in for whatever reason and as such, depending on the writer's story settings, may not be allowed to vote...

Hope that helps x
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
To score or comment a story the reader (usually) has to make it all the way to the end - number of views certainly does not equal number of reads.

I'd imagine that stories with exceptionally highs views (anything over 30,000) have probably found their way on to some social news site like reddit or digg or maybe even have been retweeted by someone with a million-plus followers - either way, you're going to get a lot of casual traffic not interested in scoring let alone signing up and commenting - most of them won't even read it.

My most commented story is also my most viewed story but it has the worst comment to view ratio of any of my stories, (the views came from it being an Editor's Pick). 35 comments from 16,900 views about one comment for every 500 views. Compare that though to my latest story which has fewer than 700 views but has 29 comments - one comment every 25 views! There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it other than you know you can always rely on certain friends to leave comment.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
An optimistic version is of course that their hands are so messy that they can't really type or vote, or are comatose or in a mindless state of delirium as a consequence of having read the story.

another reality is that the voting system aint really conducive to encouraging votes. Let's be honest, there are quite a lot of stories on here, so therefore there must be at least a third that are below average. But I am told by those who have exercised their right to vote low and make constructive comments that they have then been threatened by the powers that be with expulsion.

and hey, there are quite a few precious egos on here that really do not welcome anything less than a five and get very grumpy about any criticism.

so ultimately, who knows really? But probably not worth thinking about too much. Best thing is to assume is that all the visits and non votes and non-comments are from all your close friends and family and neighbours and everyone at work (and children if you have any).

See, best not to think about it really!!!!
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Ianthomas
But I am told by those who have exercised their right to vote low and make constructive comments that they have then been threatened by the powers that be with expulsion.

Absolute nonsense.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Absolute nonsense.

BAN HIM!
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
There may also be authors that have in their settings that they do not care to be scored. Personally scoring means little since I don't write competitively. I do appreciate comments and love that My stories are so well recieved - Thanks to all who have read them. But as for the score, as long as your happy, I'm happy!
Lurker
0 likes
It seems that the rule of thumb is that you're lucky if you get one vote per 1000 views and one comment per 2000 votes. I was encouraged when my last story got a score of 5 within minutes of being posted, but now a week later after 800 odd views, not one more score nor a single comment... Maybe it was my son who voted after all (thanks to Ian T for inspriring that scary thought...).
Lurker
0 likes
Absolute nonsense?

Sorry, i am too thick thankfully to know how to paste nicola's comment in here the proper way. Okay, I am too trusting a person. Someone was saying what i reported only days ago; others said it to me months ago.

Nicola says that is absolute nonsense, so I shall believe her. It's her site, her mods would only do what she wants them to do and never say or do anything that she was either unaware of or did not agree with. So therefore what i said must be complete nonsense coz she said it is. I stand corrected and not in a lush sense!

And sorry if anyone is taking me seriously, never ever my intention!

thankfully i know no-one does!!

smile please!!
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Ianthomas
Someone was saying what i reported only days ago; others said it to me months ago.

Which "someone"? Which "others"?

We have always actively encouraged feedback on stories, both positive or negative. I do not believe any of our moderators would go against that ethos.

If you have one iota of proof to the contrary, I'd love to see it (a PM is a lot classier than creating fake drama on the public boards).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mazza
I've noticed this too. Some people just don't like/bother to vote and then to go on and comment takes even longer, so they don't do it.

Just clicking on a story will generate a view, so sometimes a reader may click on a story by accident, or just decide that it's not what they want to read at that time. Or perhaps they might really like the story and go back to read it again, but of course, you can only vote once.

Sometimes the author themself will view their story and that generates a view as well...

Also a lot of the readers might not be logged in for whatever reason and as such, depending on the writer's story settings, may not be allowed to vote...

Hope that helps x

This true of me sometimes. Occasionally if my sole intention is to read stories I dont log in so I am not distracted or tempted to chat if I see a friend pop up online. And then later on when I do log in I forget to vote or comment.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Which "someone"? Which "others"?

We have always actively encouraged feedback on stories, both positive or negative. I do not believe any of our moderators would go against that ethos.

If you have one iota of proof to the contrary, I'd love to see it (a PM is a lot classier than creating fake drama on the public boards).

Hey, the good thing is i noticed the quote button this time; and all on my own!!! Gosh almost feeling clever, but never ever classy; spent my whole life fighting against, and railing at, the class system and aint about to stop now!

And okay, so i have dug a hole for myself. The recent comments were secondhand and I would have to ask that individual who don't know that i have seen what he said as to whether to share them or not. And for good personal confidential reasons I would rather not. He was very bullish about it. He could be a total prick. I have to believe what you say, do i not, as you run the site and he is just another member who may or may not have a grudge, who may or may not be embellishing the truth, who may or may not have said things in his comments that actually were over the top and did justify the mods warning him (although he thought his comments were justified and you say that the exchange with the mods could not have happened). Oh that is one of the problems with Lush, so much fantasy, it is hard (arf arf) to see the wood for the forests of (add your own punchline). Oh and from the bottom of the hole, next to the rather molten core that i am now close to, can i shout up that i can't actually remember who grumbled yonks ago about being sat on if they did comments on bad stories. I suspect at least one was someone who left with gripes against the site and the mods from their own struggles of getting slightly edgy stories cleared and published, so again they probably had their own motives or motivations.

Of course you actively encourage feedback, there's a one to five rating on every story if the author lets it be there, and the chance to comment (and the chance to make any comment compulsory). What more could you do?

And yeah, like i said, sorry if anyone is paying this any serious attention. Fake drama? Wasn't the intention to be honest. Just reporting what I thought might be an influence on why people do or don't vote. You have assured me that it aint the case. So there we go. Another attempt to stimulate debate has been proved to be erroneous. Such is life. However, thanks for your reassurance that if given proof of any wrong doing by mods that you would act upon it in a suitlably non dramatic but fitting way. Such a reassurance is very comforting.
The Linebacker
0 likes
"This is life, there ain't no formula, so don't be caught riding the short bus!"
— Buz

The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

This true of me sometimes. Occasionally if my sole intention is to read stories I dont log in so I am not distracted or tempted to chat if I see a friend pop up online. And then later on when I do log in I forget to vote or comment.

Nikki if you missed commenting on any of my stories I'm gonna spank you! I'm going to check right now!!!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz

Nikki if you missed commenting on any of my stories I'm gonna spank you! I'm going to check right now!!!!

Im not sure if I did but I know I read quite a few of them for sure. Sorry if I didnt comment. Im ready for my spanking now!! You rather I leave my thong on or take it off?
Weaver of Words
0 likes
I've often wondered much the same thing about many of the forum threads. It is about a 1 in 10-15 ration of views to posts. I think the same thing is in play here. Many of the people who read the stories and the forum posts are guests. They can neither vote or comment on stories or post in the forums. For instance, here are the current stats: 15,688 active users - 276 members, 15,412 guests. This info can be found on the forum home page. This translates to less than 2% of the people currently on the site that can actually vote or comment.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My guess is if the story is hot, they get off and log off lush; if it is not hot or didn’t quite do it, they switch to another story to keep in the mood. Either way ranking the story is over looked, because they logged on to have a good time. If you have someone following you, that is a pretty good sign they like your work lol.