Writing Style Guides - Free Reference Resources

last reply
4 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What you also have to bear in mind though is that the more style guides you read, the more they start to contradict each other. Find one you like and stick with it - I usually refer to the Guardian link in the OP. Though I do also have a copy of OUP's Style Guide on my desk.

It's a real shame there's not an online version of Fowler's Modern English Usage, which, as far guides go, is a fascinating read in its own right. Get a copy...

Split Infinitive
The English-speaking world may be divided into (1) those who neither know nor care what a split infinitive is; (2) those who do not know, but care very much; (3) those who know and condemn; (4) those who know and approve; and (5) those who know and distinguish. . . . Those who neither know nor care are the vast majority, and are a happy folk, to be envied by the minority classes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dictionary_of_Modern_English_Usage
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber