question for the main authors here on the site

last reply
12 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
i know on other story sites they have contests with certain themes at different times of the year,and was wondering how many of u would consider doing something similiar here,in the sense that since this is October,with Halloween coming up and everything,what u guys would think about holding a contest for the best supernatural story of the month out of ones submitted by interested authors?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
erm they do have competitions here...

http://www.lushstories.com/badges/competitionwinner.aspx

This was the last last one...

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst23648_Announcing-our-new-Story-Competition-with-a-500-First-Prize.aspx
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Clever Gem
0 likes
On the home page you can find the tab to take you to the competitions page.

Matriarch
0 likes
A new competition will be announced in the next few days
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Halloween comp from 2010

http://www.lushstories.com/competitions/halloween-.aspx
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by nicola

the theme... kitty girl stories, right? biggrin

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Hmmm, so is this whole thread just part of a guerilla marketing campaign to get the comp off the ground?

Well played, Nicola, well played.

Matriarch
0 likes
We'll be running 2 competitions between now and the end of the year.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

Hmmm, so is this whole thread just part of a guerilla marketing campaign to get the comp off the ground?

Well played, Nicola, well played.

its a desire by me to see a few more high-quality supernatural stories on the site,ive seen some exceptional ones on here,but it seems like the genre in general,the stories have come few and far between
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by chris_brown

its a desire by me to see a few more high-quality supernatural stories on the site,ive seen some exceptional ones on here,but it seems like the genre in general,the stories have come few and far between

I think the main problem comes from the fact that supernatural stories aren't easy to do here. I've discussed with other authors the possibilities of doing some Gothic Horror stuff but it's incredibly difficult to do it justice and keep within the site rules.

Try writing a horror story without death and with full consent from all parties and it starts to lose its edge somewhat.

This not a criticism of the site rules - they are there for a reason - but we have to be conscious of the fact that they can makes certain genres much harder to write than others.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chris_brown

Here you go. My story is in the Supernatural category, and has been recognised with an Editor's Pick badge.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/supernatural/first-run-of-the-day.aspx

Exceptional? Yes, I think it is.
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

I think the main problem comes from the fact that supernatural stories aren't easy to do here. I've discussed with other authors the possibilities of doing some Gothic Horror stuff but it's incredibly difficult to do it justice and keep within the site rules.

Try writing a horror story without death and with full consent from all parties and it starts to lose its edge somewhat.

This not a criticism of the site rules - they are there for a reason - but we have to be conscious of the fact that they can makes certain genres much harder to write than others.

I'm thinking about taking this as a challenge since I love horror, esp. Gothic, and haven't written any in a while. But that's the problem - I dont' really have any ideas for one right now. I have one here on my hard drive but it's (a) already published in webzine and (b) has explicit sex but isn't particularly erotic.

I do agree that the site rules tend to lend more to so-called urban fantasy and paranormal erotica (Twilight, Women of the Otherworld, etc. type of stuff) more so than flat-out horror. But it shouldn't be impossible. A couple screwing in a haunted house as strange things happen around them comes to mind. Perhaps the haunting heightens their desire even as it spooks them and the combination finally forces them to flee even as their desire urges them to stay.

Will think on this, though.