Chia and Quinoa

last reply
13 replies
3.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I went to a Health / Eco Living Fair this weekend, and learnt a lot about these 2 little "superfoods" (as the marketers like to call them).

Chia seeds are amazing. They have more Omega 3 in them than Salmon. Read these 2 articles for more: http://www.mychiaseeds.com/Articles/Top10ChiaBenefits.html and http://blog.thrivefoods.net/2009/07/chia-seeds-top-10-benefits.html.

I've had Quinoa seeds in my cupboard for a while, having been given them from a friend, a few months ago (she was a little hazy what to do with them). Anyway, here are some health benefits: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=142&tname=foodspice#healthbenefits - the presenter said they were "pretty ordinary tasting, like grass", and that it was best to "dry fry to toast them" before using with rice.

I sprinkle chia on rice sometimes, but haven't used them in other ways. They really bulk up with liquid, and I've heard they are used in drinks, to help runners maintain their energy levels.

Has anyone got any good tips for using either? Anything with so many amino acids in, has to be good for you in one form or another.
0 likes
I just started using chia seeds a couple of months ago after reading a bit about them. I sprinkle them on cereal and salads and use them in stir fries and cous cous, too. I haven't tried quinoa seeds yet, though.
Matriarch
0 likes
I can't imagine them on cereal, but I'll give them a go in stir fries and with cous cous.

As with many health foods, the downside is their cost. $18.95 for 500g, and they recommend 15g per day. Mind you, I don't use them all that often, it will probably take me 6 months to get through that packet, so it's all relative.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
there's two kinds of quinoa - red and white - i like the red better, but it's more expensive. i find that soaking it for 5 minutes in water and draining it and rinsing it off before boiling it - 1.5 cups of cold water to 1 cup of Q (you can add a little salt if you want, like 1/4 tsp) is good - let it sit for about 5 minutes after - i have it for breakfast sometimes, like oatmeal - it's good that way!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I use chia seeds every day in my morning smoothie. I have also used them to make a sort of pudding using almond milk, honey or stevia, cocoa, sometimes peanut butter, and some vanilla. Sometimes I squeeze 1/2 a lime into a glass of water and stir in some chia seeds. Chia seeds can also be used to make a chia gel that can replace eggs in baking. I have also used them when making kale chips.

I have been using quinoa for the last year or so, often in soups or stews. I also give them a few minute soak then rinse, before cooking. There are tons of recipes on the internet for using them. Here is a link to a site with several good ones: http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/quinoa-recipes.php I have found that I can substitute quinoa for rice or any other grain called for in my cooking.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I use them both. I love Quinoa salad - here's a great variation of my fave recipe (admittedly, I tend to just buy this at Whole Foods but sometimes make my own). Recipe Link

I'm all about apples, cranberries, walnuts and cheese crumbled over any kind of salad... especially at this time of year.

I've been using Chia seeds for ages as well... I tend to just stir it into water and add lime with a bit of sugar (for health benefits plus it really fills you up in between meals). It takes some getting used to at first... it's a bit like aloe juice in consistency with a thin gel-like consistency. I also sprinkle it in yogurt, add it to granola/yogurt/fruit mix or in protein shakes to thicken it up.

Not sure if you saw this at the health fair, but I'd also highly recommend liquid chlorophyll - you can buy a bottle and just add a couple of capfuls of it to your water. They have a minty tasting one (which I love) and a non-mint. It's really great and has amazing health benefits. I swear by it!

Link - Liquid Chlorophyll

Matriarch
0 likes
Thanks for the replies, I will take up some of those suggestions.

As for the liquid chlorophyll, it sounds like a wheatgrass shot to me. That's what they call them here. Is it good mixed with vodka and orange juice? You can mix business and pleasure can't you?
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Thanks for the replies, I will take up some of those suggestions.

As for the liquid chlorophyll, it sounds like a wheatgrass shot to me. That's what they call them here. Is it good mixed with vodka and orange juice? You can mix business and pleasure can't you?

lol... no, no... totally different from wheatgrass. I like those too, but I'm a bit unconvinced as to the real benefits from them. I just see it in the same realm as juicing. They're fun now and then though.

Chlorophyll cleanses the blood and brings more oxygen to the blood. It's great to add to the water bottle when you're working out, for example. Some of the nicer luxury resorts stock this in their gyms. It's big along the west coast.

I also have a friend with HIV that has spent years drinking this religiously and credits it to keeping him in excellent health - so much so that his blood levels have amazed his doctors.

Plus I like a little flavour in my water and this is a nice sugar-free (and healthy) way to do it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Aren't Chia seeds the stuff you add water to to make a Chia pet?
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
aloha, i am an athlete from hawaii and have used chia for over fifteen years. the chia pets are a different seed.. not for human consumption.. i beleive three different kinds.. but the hispanica is for us.. both white and black.. soaking the seeds.. will increase the anti ox. count and if taken without.. can cause dehydration.. sorry, i am blind and do not spell check..lol. but i do paddle.. really long distances and it has helped me for long , long time.. aloha, i/c
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Hi Nicole. I have tried Chia as well and quite like making a spritzer out of lemon juice and a bit of sugar like you mentioned. I find that it gets me through some pretty exhausting days. Have used it for a bit but been away for a while your forum post helped to remind me I should get back to it.

Thanks.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
You should read the book "Born to Run" to find the history of Chia and its endurance boosting performance properties.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703
Aren't Chia seeds the stuff you add water to to make a Chia pet?

Wrong type of chia seeds!

I've learnt that cooking chia seeds diminishes their health benefits, so you should eat them raw if possible.

I wouldn't eat a lot of them raw though, they absorb liquid and swell up many times their size, so they can dehydrate you.

Soaking them in water will increase their natural potency by 2.5 times.

A nice way to drink them, is mixing half a glass of lemonade with the seeds, stir them in, and wait a while. They taste a little like passion fruit as a result.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
My grandfather has done a lot of reading on health foods. He has about half the family using chia seeds. He tends to suggest putting them into a shake made with yogurt to help thicken them. He also says adding a teaspoon of fish oil or coconut oil is helpful. The fish oil for the DHA and EPA. The coconut oil while it is a saturated fat is a beneficial one helping with transport in the cells.
Love me. Cuff me. Spank me. Fuck me.