Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Do you think color stops at a certain speed?

last reply
4 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
If you were traveling at or faster than the speed of light do you think color would stop appearing to a person looking out at something? Maybe blackness because they're traveling faster than the speed of light from the object their looking at and the time it takes for the brain to process it?
(if there was a distant object large enough to be distinguished from the background)

Unless you get that whole time slows and stops from your perspective, effectively creating a type of time travel between point a and b in which you physically don't age over the period in which you or anyone else were experiencing the speed of light, at what point do you think time would "unfreeze", if at all? If everything around you was frozen would it suddenly change as you ..woke up? Like a picture suddenly being replaced with a new image of the new surroundings that slowly began to move without any ability to distinguish transition between?

just a random thought lol
opinions? I'm sure there's a question in there somewhere..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Pardon me... I'm going to try to answer this after a few glasses of wine.

Different colors travel at different speeds. So it might be a gradual return to full color, if we think that going so fast it would create a void which we might attribute with no color; or black and white. Like a fade out and in. But it might seem to happen in an instant.

Its a good pondering question. Thanks.
Lurker
0 likes
well in a vacuum it's the same speed, but I think it would show, because if it constantly emits light the light would be present in the location I'm passing through. This question I think would only apply to something that's emitting it's first rays of light, or something that can be switched on and off, like a lightbulb, if it was a star that's been there the light it emitted ..say 30 minutes ago would have reached that spot as someone passed through 30 minutes later.. I overlooked that lol. I'm not sure if that still applies though because going faster than the time it takes to go into our eye and be seen may still appear as darkness.. Thanks for adding silly
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Ok, first since light radiates in straight lines away from the source if you could travel faster than the light itself everything would just fad to darkness because you'd be moving away from the source and it would dissipate the further you went. Now if you used something like a laser that emmitted a very focused beam to diminish this effect and turned that on and off in like a Morris Code message and then start traveling faster than the speed of light in the same direction as the laser. You, in theory, would see the message in reverse. Now if you had a red laser and a blue laser and sent the same message at the same time, would you catch up to one of the messages faster than the other? Also, another curve ball, if light didn't dissipate, and you could travel faster than the speed of light, you could visually travel back in time, since you would be catching up to the light. However, how screwed up would sound be since its significantly slower? Would it be like watching a really poorly dubbed movie?

Side note: I don't know if this makes this post extra bizzar for me or not, but I'm watching Doctor Who right now.
Lurker
0 likes
Great question buddy!....there are two boundaries to this thought experiments....the quantum mechanical boundary and relativistic one. First lets ask what constitutes colors.....Its the different wavelengths of light....and different frequencies....the speed of light is a constant in vacuum. So this means that in the quantum mechanical world light photons have different spins which correspond to different states and different colors. If you break the speed barrier of light.... in the quantum mechanical world.....photon spins will randomize...spinning differently....from your perspective...effecting the frequency of light...and their energy levels as well as wavelengths...you cannot observe them at once since you'll change the outcome. relativistically Space will stretch and time will slow down. Yes you can theoretically time travel and all and that is a whole different area of cosmology...but returning back to the main question....while approaching the speed of light all colors will merge....there will not be any splitting taking place....you will observe nothing but white...there wont be any black till you reach 3*10^8 m/s limit...then you'll see a weird halo effect....photons stop spinning and freeze....space stretches behind you dragging those photons behind...they begin to reverse their spins...this is when time begins to stop....and reverses as well....a black hole punches through your vision (not the one that sucks in all matter) light begins to split apart for a split second and the darkness grows...grows until yes....your vision blacks out.....Mind you this will happen only when you have punched your way out of the universe's physical boundary.....you will be combating light waves that were first emitted with the big bang....then the microwave radiation and all other lovely EM waves....those too will change frequencies and you will be able to see them....depending on the capacity of your retina to capture them and your brains ability to process them.....(2001 space Odyssey....my god.....its full of stars!!!! :-P)....k i think i'll shut up now....damn what the hell did i smoke today? :-O....thank you proff kleminsky! if you guys find a flaw in my theory...blame him not me! :-P
Lurker
0 likes
Not sure but what is the speed of dark? lol