Diabetes and drinking alcohol

last reply
9 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Just wondered if there are any other Lush members out there who are diabetic?

I have noticed a connection between when I drink alcohol and problems down below and eveything becoming very itchy and inflamed. I like to go out and have a drink every now and again but the side effects are putting me off :/

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what do you do to counter it?

I take tablets for my diabetes as opposed to insulin injections.

Realise I prob need to chat to my diabetic nurse but thought I'd ask in here too.

Thank you.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Big Shy, I treat Diabetes in my clinic on a daily basis and this is a very common complaint with women. The high sugar that is in alcohol increases the yeast production in the body. The yeast feed off the sugar and multiple several times over, leading to yeast infections not just in the vaginal area but in the mouth, and under the breasts as well.

You also need to have your numbers checked and make sure that your doseage is at a theraputic level. If they are too high then an increase in the Metformin (or other medication you take) needs to be made.

One of the best ways to prevent this is to not drink, however for many people this isnt a good option simply becuase they enjoy having a drink with friends on occasion. Therefore the best choice in that case is to limit your drinking. Wine and champagine are very high in the sugar categories and so only a small glass should be had at one time. Make sure to flush the body with water and also to eat heathy foods that will not cause your sugar to spike along with the alcohol.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me or chat me up.

Always glad to help out!!

Angel
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you so much for your reply Angel.

I think my levels are OK on Metformin - I take 4 a day - but may ask my Dr if I can increase this when I drink. I try to avoid it at all costs but its not always an option like you said. I'm more concerned for when I go away in Feb as its a birthday celebration so want to be able to drink then. Luckily mine so far has just been in the vaginal area. Will also try and remember to ask for water at the same time so I can flush it out quickly and hadn't even crossed my mind to balance the food sugar in take when drinking either - will keep that it mind as well.

Thank you once again

smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Big Shy~~ You said you are taking 4 Metformin a day. Are those 500 or 1000...because there is no proof of Metformin working any better once you pass the 2500mg mark daily.

I am glad I could help, and once more if you need any other help / advice on this issue or others like it please PM me I'm always glad to help out.

Angel
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
They are 500mg ones. So in theory I could up my dosage then if I want a drink or two? Will go see or at least ring my doctor to discuss.

Thank you smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
ShyOne, your symptoms might be related to diabetes, especially if you are brittle (low and high blood sugar levels that are difficult to control) and are running higher than what is "normal" for your good control. I have had insulin dependent (Type A) diabetes for 57 years and have discovered many symptoms that were not (some now are) published.

By all means, try to maintain your glysated hemoglobin (HB A1c) as close to normal as possible. Yes, I drink alcohol regularly but refrain if my BS is running low--always eat before drinking. Do keep in mind that a low blood sugar feeling is much like the nice buzz feling one gets from a few drinks and that alcohol, especially when combined with insulin, can cause your blood sugar to drop quickly before it rises due to the sugars you are ingesting.

IM me if you wish.
Gramps

The quiet and always horny old guy in Sunny Florida USA
Lurker
0 likes
I too am a type A (or type I) diabetic but not quite serious enough to be taking insulin. So I am treating it quite seriously to make sure I don't get to Gramps' level but it is not an easy disease to deal with. Clearly what we eat and drink and do not eat and drink has a major impact on our condition. So I am going to start a separate thread for recipes for diabetics, or for people who wish to avoid it. I will make a reference to this thread so that serious medical questions can be answered here.
Gramps obviously knows more about the condition than I do as I have never heard of "brittle" = he says "brittle (low and high blood sugar levels that are difficult to control)" so I am going to ask him and anyone else who can help us cope better to please do so more publicly. .
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Alcohol affects me in many negative ways. Causes skin irritation, creates congestion and coughing. The problem is, I love to have a drink.
Lurker
0 likes
thank u for posting this topic.. I have a friend [a young guy just a few years older than me] who has liver problems from.. apparently .. binge drinking..

seems everyone is criticising my age group for binge drinking.. citing early diabetes as a threat...

will follow the threads with interest..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
You may have to consider injecting insulin as I believe eventually you won't have a choice. I take 2 Metformin (@ 1000mg) as well as insulin injections. Years ago before needing to I told my doctor that I couldn't stick a needle into myself. He said I'd have 2 choices...do it or die! You'll find that apart from a little pain when you stick the needle in that it is not too bad.
"Hey, don't knock masturbation! It's sex with someone I love." Woody Allen

"I am willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never wrong." Samuel Goldwyn