To Say or not to say.

last reply
34 replies
3.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've been knowing this girl since few months and i really like her.She shares alot of stuff with me even things about her ex's . i'm afraid if i tell her my feelings i would loose her as a friend but i really like her and don't want her to be someone else's . What should i do ? Please help
Lurker
0 likes
If you dont ask her out, soon someone else well and you'll spend forever wondering what would have happened if you had just told her.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by MMonroe
If you dont ask her out, soon someone else well and you'll spend forever wondering what would have happened if you had just told her.

Boom! Bang on, MMonroe.

Done right, there's no reason the friendship has to suffer as a consequence of her saying no (speaking from experience). Strap on a pair and go to it!

Best of luck.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by clum

Boom! Bang on, MMonroe.

Done right, there's no reason the friendship has to suffer as a consequence of her saying no (speaking from experience). Strap on a pair and go to it!

Best of luck.

This as well. Your friendship will only suffer if you make a big deal out of it and act strangely towards her, then she will act strangely towards you (speaking from experience as well)
Lurker
0 likes
Completely agree with clum and MMonroe. As long as you ask her out in a casual way with confidence and don't go all gooey and weird on her then you'll be fine!
Lurker
0 likes
great advice gang!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
If you tell her, you have to be willing to accept "no" for an answer and be willing to let the situation go and not continue to fixate on her if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to.

If you're uncertain if you're able to do this, or if you sense that if she rejects you that it'll be impossible for you to just act like her friend when you see her with another guy, then yeah... you risk blowing up the friendship.

Most people will say "just tell her" but to be honest... of the three male friends that confessed their feelings for me over the years, the friendship pretty much trainwrecked or blew up within the months following. The reasons for this involved various factors: either they kept trying to win me over, there was major awkwardness, the main intention of the 'so-called' friendship was to get with me, or they were just unable to handle seeing me with another guy.

You should be able to get a decent 'vibe' from this girl as to whether or not she's into you at all. It's one thing to ask if you genuinely don't know, but if you have a strong suspicion that she has no desire for you, then I would actually question telling her all this just for the sake of sharing... especially if you think it might ruin things and the friendship has value to you.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I think Doll makes some excellent points. Once you cross that line there is no going back. She will know you have desires for her and if she doesn't share them she will probably feel uncomfortable and shy away from you.

I'd think hard on this. Do you think you love her or has she merly become your sexual fantasy? Nothing wrong with that. Guys, especially young guys do that with almost every woman they meet, but be aware how she might feel when she realizes that you basically just had a need to get into her pants. Don't do this unless you are sure you want a dedicated long term sexual and emotional relationship with her. The friends with benefits thing never works long.

If though you do feel this then carefully let her know how you feel. You will have to be able to hear the messages she sends you to know when the time is right. Listen to her words. Listen to her body language around you. Believe me if she wants you she is telling you, you just need to know how to listen.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Milik_The_Red
I think Doll makes some excellent points. Once you cross that line there is no going back. She will know you have desires for her and if she doesn't share them she will probably feel uncomfortable and shy away from you.

I'd think hard on this. Do you think you love her or has she merly become your sexual fantasy? Nothing wrong with that. Guys, especially young guys do that with almost every woman they meet, but be aware how she might feel when she realizes that you basically just had a need to get into her pants. Don't do this unless you are sure you want a dedicated long term sexual and emotional relationship with her. The friends with benefits thing never works long.

If though you do feel this then carefully let her know how you feel. You will have to be able to hear the messages she sends you to know when the time is right. Listen to her words. Listen to her body language around you. Believe me if she wants you she is telling you, you just need to know how to listen.

She is not my sexual fantasy . i really love her and it makes me really happy to see her happy. we talk and chat for hours and she said two days back that she wants to tell me something but only when we meet.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
If you tell her, you have to be willing to accept "no" for an answer and be willing to let the situation go and not continue to fixate on her if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to.

If you're uncertain if you're able to do this, or if you sense that if she rejects you that it'll be impossible for you to just act like her friend when you see her with another guy, then yeah... you risk blowing up the friendship.

Most people will say "just tell her" but to be honest... of the three male friends that confessed their feelings for me over the years, the friendship pretty much trainwrecked or blew up within the months following. The reasons for this involved various factors: either they kept trying to win me over, there was major awkwardness, the main intention of the 'so-called' friendship was to get with me, or they were just unable to handle seeing me with another guy.

You should be able to get a decent 'vibe' from this girl as to whether or not she's into you at all. It's one thing to ask if you genuinely don't know, but if you have a strong suspicion that she has no desire for you, then I would actually question telling her all this just for the sake of sharing... especially if you think it might ruin things and the friendship has value to you.

i REally love her and i just dont wanna ruin what is between us . She shares lot of stuff with me and we have lot of fun talkin with each other
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by hornyboy77619

She is not my sexual fantasy . i really love her and it makes me really happy to see her happy. we talk and chat for hours and she said two days back that she wants to tell me something but only when we meet.

It appears then that the table is set. Be honest. Look her in the eye and tell her. Do it someplace that you can be alone but still in public. I'd chose a walk on a hiking path or at the beach. Something that will bring a strong memory. Hold her hand while you tell her how much you care.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out. Don't hesitate to come back and let's us know what she says!
Lurker
0 likes
I agree. It seems that you should tell her. Everyone had some pretty good points so I wont add anything other than good luck!
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Surely if the friendship is doomed to "blow up" after he tells her then it will happen even if he doesn't tell her; he still feels the same way. Is it really preferable to maintain a friendship where he suffers in silence while she, blissfully unaware, gets on with her life and inadvertently taunts the poor boy?

I agree he has to be prepared to hear no but if he really loves this girl like he says he does then I don't see that he has any viable option but to tell her.
Lurker
0 likes
You should tell her how you feel about her or you will regret it for the rest of your life.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Milik_The_Red

It appears then that the table is set. Be honest. Look her in the eye and tell her. Do it someplace that you can be alone but still in public. I'd chose a walk on a hiking path or at the beach. Something that will bring a strong memory. Hold her hand while you tell her how much you care.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out. Don't hesitate to come back and let's us know what she says!

Thanks i will. I'll let you all know.. Thank you everyone smile
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Ah, to be young again...
The Linebacker
0 likes
I don't know. Maybe ease into a friends-with-benefits and let it slowly develop.

To tell you the truth I never owned up to any feelings until they told me first. I think you should have a good idea what the result will be before opening yourself up.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Just ask her if she ever considered dating you?
Veni, vidi, vici" Julius Caesar 47 BC
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i dont know guys .. i know alot about her but i can't tell about this. i really love her.. if i dont talk wid her for a day its all crazy.. i feel helpless.. sad
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Tell her that you have watched her date all the wrong guys and that you think you can do better by her. Make sure she understands that you don't want to ruin your friendship or lose her as a friend but you just have to know if there is a mutual attraction. Maybe get a mutual friend to help you and get them to ask her what she thinks about you and dating you, that would keep you from asking her straight out and she may ask you instead, at least you would know then.
Veni, vidi, vici" Julius Caesar 47 BC
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by clum

Surely if the friendship is doomed to "blow up" after he tells her then it will happen even if he doesn't tell her; he still feels the same way. Is it really preferable to maintain a friendship where he suffers in silence while she, blissfully unaware, gets on with her life and inadvertently taunts the poor boy?

I agree he has to be prepared to hear no but if he really loves this girl like he says he does then I don't see that he has any viable option but to tell her.

I'm just saying that after he tells her, he has to be prepared for things to change... because they will. If he's concerned about 'losing her as a friend' like he said he was in his original post, he has to understand that when he rolls the dice on this one, there's no going back.

At the time of my post he just "liked her" but it appears that his feeling are way more intense as the thread has gone on, so yeah... might as well roll the dice anyway, since the option of platonic friendship probably won't be possible either way.
Lurker
0 likes
Everyone has made some good points here.

As someone who went through similar situation back in H.S. (granted it was over a decade ago), when you simplify your decision to its most basic state what do you have -- something similar to the "red pill / blue pill" scene in the matrix.

a. DON´T SAY : things remain the same, and your reality will not be affected.
b. SAY : thing will change and your reality will be affected, whether it is for better or worst will be up to her.

Like DD said, you must first understand that there is no going back after you tell her.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by hornyboy77619
I've been knowing this girl since few months and i really like her.She shares alot of stuff with me even things about her ex's . i'm afraid if i tell her my feelings i would loose her as a friend but i really like her and don't want her to be someone else's . What should i do ? Please help

This situation seems more complicated than it is. It's pretty simple really. I'm not sure what kind of things she shares with you but you mention that she talks (complains) about her ex with you. Not exactly the kind of stuff women talk about with guys they are interested in, not in the first couple months anyway. Most of them want to paint themselves in the best light. How did you meet and how did you maintain this friendship at the beginning? I think this bit of information would be helpful to really access what she feels.

From my experience, most women that are interested in me, give me some kind of sign that they are early on in our communication. Touches when you hang out, compliments, wanting to have dinner on a friday night and she is dressing to impress and is receptive to your compliments, NOT talking about other guys they like or flirting with other men while you are hanging out (if she is courting you she wont do this) sometimes they will just say, "hey, I like you you know.." shit like that. Not all women are that confident, and I get that, but you should be able to tell from the general "vibe" you get, like others have mentioned. Sometimes women that are shy and play the friend card will try to set you up to declare your feelings. These set ups are pretty obvious.

Also, most women have incredible intuition and KNOW when guys like them. If she hasn't made a move because she realizes that you are too shy to, then she is probably not interested like that. Some women like to have male friends and will ignore the fact that you like them because it is still good to have a male's point of view for her as it should be for you too.

So simply, in my opinion, she is not interested. Believe me, if she liked you, you would know.

One little thing you can do to get more information though, is this... You can buy her a little gift. Nothing too romantic like flowers or jewelry or anything like. Just something little that is still friendly but also lets her know that you are in tune to what is important to her. Like say she always complains about her cell phone dying when you hang out. Get her a car charger for it. Its nothing romantic and but it IS thoughtful. In the instant you give it to her you will have to really pay attention to her reaction. You know her so you can see how bullshitty her reaction is. If she cant accept it, if she gets a worried look on her face, if she leaves it at your house, if she overly stresses that you should not of done that, then your answer is pretty clear. You can see if she uses it and if she one day surprises you with something in return. If she does you can see how romantic HER gift to you is. By doing something like this you can try and see what her feelings are and still not ruin your friendship. All that said, it IS a bit sneaky but women are complicated creatures and they are all different. Sometimes playing this kind of relationship chess is needed.

Good luck!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

This situation seems more complicated than it is. It's pretty simple really. I'm not sure what kind of things she shares with you but you mention that she talks (complains) about her ex with you. Not exactly the kind of stuff women talk about with guys they are interested in, not in the first couple months anyway. Most of them want to paint themselves in the best light. How did you meet and how did you maintain this friendship at the beginning? I think this bit of information would be helpful to really access what she feels.

From my experience, most women that are interested in me, give me some kind of sign that they are early on in our communication. Touches when you hang out, compliments, wanting to have dinner on a friday night and she is dressing to impress and is receptive to your compliments, NOT talking about other guys they like or flirting with other men while you are hanging out (if she is courting you she wont do this) sometimes they will just say, "hey, I like you you know.." shit like that. Not all women are that confident, and I get that, but you should be able to tell from the general "vibe" you get, like others have mentioned. Sometimes women that are shy and play the friend card will try to set you up to declare your feelings. These set ups are pretty obvious.

Also, most women have incredible intuition and KNOW when guys like them. If she hasn't made a move because she realizes that you are too shy to, then she is probably not interested like that. Some women like to have male friends and will ignore the fact that you like them because it is still good to have a male's point of view for her as it should be for you too.

So simply, in my opinion, she is not interested. Believe me, if she liked you, you would know.

One little thing you can do to get more information though, is this... You can buy her a little gift. Nothing too romantic like flowers or jewelry or anything like. Just something little that is still friendly but also lets her know that you are in tune to what is important to her. Like say she always complains about her cell phone dying when you hang out. Get her a car charger for it. Its nothing romantic and but it IS thoughtful. In the instant you give it to her you will have to really pay attention to her reaction. You know her so you can see how bullshitty her reaction is. If she cant accept it, if she gets a worried look on her face, if she leaves it at your house, if she overly stresses that you should not of done that, then your answer is pretty clear. You can see if she uses it and if she one day surprises you with something in return. If she does you can see how romantic HER gift to you is. By doing something like this you can try and see what her feelings are and still not ruin your friendship. All that said, it IS a bit sneaky but women are complicated creatures and they are all different. Sometimes playing this kind of relationship chess is needed.

Good luck!

i liked what you said. We were talking yesterday and she told me things that she said she has never told anyone before. And all college friends are gonna go out for a trip she asked me if i am coming and when i said i am not sure she said "if i am going you are coming too..". What u think buddy?
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by hornyboy77619

i liked what you said. We were talking yesterday and she told me things that she said she has never told anyone before. And all college friends are gonna go out for a trip she asked me if i am coming and when i said i am not sure she said "if i am going you are coming too..". What u think buddy?

I think she sounds like a nice girl... "if i am going you are coming too.." <--I don't know man. That sounds awfully friendly. She didn't follow that up with, "there will be lots of single girls there." Did she?

I think you may be in the friend zone.. Kinda hard getting out of it. Like really hard. Gonna be weird making a move on a trip too... She can get freaked and now you'll be stuck somewhere in a really awkward situation. Good luck dude.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

I think she sounds like a nice girl... "if i am going you are coming too.." <--I don't know man. That sounds awfully friendly. She didn't follow that up with, "there will be lots of single girls there." Did she?

I think you may be in the friend zone.. Kinda hard getting out of it. Like really hard. Gonna be weird making a move on a trip too... She can get freaked and now you'll be stuck somewhere in a really awkward situation. Good luck dude.

If you go on the trip and tell her how you feel and she is not into you like that, you are gonna feel really emabarressed and be stuck in a bad situation with no where to run.

When she mentioned the trip and said if "Im going your going too",that could be taken to mean several things. She could be into you but she could also like having you around as a security blanket in case some other guys try to hit on her and she could use you as an excuse to say no. Or if the other guys see you with her, they may not try for her.

You could have responded with "Then why dont you stay home too and we can do something together". You sound you like you have it really bad for this girl and you will not be able to stay as "just friends". So you might as well go for it and see what happens.

Good Luck!!!
The Linebacker
0 likes
So what's wrong with a single guy banging a few female friends every now and then? Good stuff!