Let's be nicer/friendlier to newbies?

last reply
84 replies
7.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Has anyone noticed that the forum has been a little slow lately? I've been thinking about it and thought that maybe the problem is with us. The "regulars" in the forum. Could it be that "we" are a little too tough on newbies? Are we clique-ish? Could we be a little more understanding of newcomers who don't yet understand how Lush and the forum works? Weren't we all rookies here at one point? I'm not pointing any finger at anyone specifically. Except myself as I've surely been not so nice before.

Yes, there's been dozens of threads on cock size, swallowing, blowjobs, anal sex,....... If some 18yr old newbie starts a tired thread, we can let it slide can't we? I doubt all newbies are aware of or know how to accurately do a forum search. That kid may be way naive and Lush could prove to be a great learning place for him/her. Unless we scare him/her off.

If someone has just a handful of forum posts and says something inappropriate or disrespectful or breaks some other written or unwritten forum rule, maybe we can let it slide and give him/her a grace period learning curve?

If a new person posts in one of the Word Games threads with something very sexual, it's really ok. In the "Would you fuck... the person above you" type thread, a new guy may post, "Yea, I'd fuck the shit out of that pussy." So what, he's new. He may not know the proper decorum that's expected. Can we not point it out in a NICE way? And by the way, if you post in one of the Word Game threads, you are opening yourself up to whoever wants to post beneath you. If you don't want to be "hit" on in a sex games thread, don't post there.

Let's remember that not everyone has English as a first language. If someone posts in with broken English, we don't have to call him out on it. Usually you can tell the difference between a dumbass and someone whose words are just out of sync.

Maybe if we made the forum a more welcoming place things would pick up. I'm guilty of all the things I mentioned above. My Lush resolution is to see that things get back to the "good ol' times" here.

edit... trolls are easy to spot, when one appears he should be dealt with accordingly

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Lurker
0 likes
clap clap clap
Lurker
0 likes
Couldn't agree more, and I'm afraid I've been neglecting the Forum part of our Site....

One of the reasons for this is that I'm going through a bit of an emotional time and I'm finding it difficult to chat idly about Tit Size..... (Forgive me, but you take my point I hope...)

The OTHER reason is that as a new Moderator, I'm spending a LOT of Forum time trying to learn how to do the job in the manner the Site expects and deserves. Consequently, I'm hitting the Team Topics more then the Public Forums.... Learning from those who seem to have Moderating down to An Art!!!!!

(I'm not there yet!)

But your observation is noted, and an example of why LUSH is the finest site of its kind on the Web.... Because its Members are proud of what we do and constantly strive to make our Site even better.

So, With HUGE Respect...... Well Fucking Done You for this post.....

Mwah!

xx SF
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister
My Lush resolution is to see that things get back to the "good ol' times" here.

And a fine resolution it is! Let's hope others follow your lead, LM.
Maggie R
0 likes
LM very well done, I am glad you have been able to post a "feel good thread". In the past year I have been known to be a little "unfriendly" to a few members here. Yes one "said member" was a troll that you had mentioned but I do feel like there should be more fun here. Afterall it is a sex stories website.

Now lets all join hands and sing a song Angelheart can play the guitar and hopefully you can find someone to play the skin flute Mister!

Happy new year to all! Wishing you and your families all the best in 2012!!
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Lurker
0 likes
Nicely said, LM!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've been coming to the site for years but consider myself a newbie as far as the Forums are concerned. Hearing how people feel about this is really encouraging because, I admit, sometimes I feel a bit daunted by the Forums and Chats.

Lafayettemister- you sound like a positive person to be around and brightened my day. Thanks.
Lurker
0 likes
*kicking the ground* OK, I'll try, but no promises!!

Quote by lafayettemister
Has anyone noticed that the forum has been a little slow lately? I've been thinking about it and thought that maybe the problem is with us. The "regulars" in the forum. Could it be that "we" are a little too tough on newbies? Are we clique-ish? Could we be a little more understanding of newcomers who don't yet understand how Lush and the forum works? Weren't we all rookies here at one point? I'm not pointing any finger at anyone specifically. Except myself as I've surely been not so nice before.

Maybe if we made the forum a more welcoming place things would pick up. I'm guilty of all the things I mentioned above. My Lush resolution is to see that things get back to the "good ol' times" here.

Great points, LM. I totally agree. I love seeing everyone have a good time in the forums. It was a great place to meet people when I joined Lush; actually I do still make friends on the forums. *cheers* to "good ol' times" on the forums again!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm no newbie to Lush, but I very much agree with your sentiment here LFM. Well said x
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
it's actually pretty easy to be nice and welcoming, and takes so little - just a 'hello' or a smile and suddenly, someone feels like they're noticed, that yeah, sometimes taking 30 seconds to answer someone's question is just the right thing to do.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Nicer? Whaddya mean?! We're always nice to the new kids at school!

lol... well said everyone. It's a good new year's resolution for all forum players.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I totally agree.

I try to be nice to everyone here just like most everyone (with a few exceptions) was nice to me when I first joined. There is enough nastiness in the real world that we do not need to ridicule someone because they started duplicate threads or they didnt use the correct grammar. Pointing out that there is already a thread and they may want to look at to get the answer they are looking for is pefectly fine, but coming down on them is uncalled for.

When someone is being a nasty moron (and as we all know, there are a few of them here), just ignore them and they will go away!!
Lurker
0 likes
Aaw, LM, thAts a super sweet post!!

Yes, I remember being super daunted by the forums - there still a few places I feel daunted to post...

I'll try and remember to be nice as well...

Thanks for trying to get the fun back!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Whole hearty agree smile
To boldly Lush where no one has Lushed before
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Being in lush for only two months, I regard myself as a newbie, and English is not my first language. So I’d like to chip in for a few words.

It really touches me to see so many regulars care about small things like this. In fact, lush forum is already one of the nicest forums I’ve ever been. That’s one of the reasons I joined lush the first place.

I know my English is not that proficient, and I make mistakes either in forum post or in my stories. In the forum post, I noticed some regulars reminded me subtly. They would repeat the correct word in a sentence in their post right below mine, but not directly pointing out my mistake. I really appreciated that for being so considerate, and for helping me to improve.

I’ve only play forum games for a month. In this month I meet some really nice people in forum, and some of them became my friends here. I’m being treated nicely in forum, so I’m returning the favor to treat other people friendly, always give a “friendly pass” instead of just “pass”, tell ladies I pass is not because you’re not attractive, it’s because you’re les and I totally respect that, small thing like that. The reason I’m doing this is because when I first joined lush, I was welcomed and treated well by many regulars like poizenivy, Etiary, Nikki703, imhapless…

I mean, the RL is already stressed enough for all of us, so why not treating each other nice here?
Welcome to visit my tumblr page at http://HK4167.tumblr.com for erotic arts. Or http://slice-of-moment.tumblr.com for non-erotic arts.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well said LM! Thats the New Year's Spirit!

I waited and watched the forums for a couple of months before jumping in with the sharks.
Generally, common sense and respect prevails before I post something, but I have been known to be snarky in the past.
Sometimes I just can't help myself! But I'll try to behave since it is a great idea for a resolution.

Now a quick idea...
For offending members maybe a Dunk Tank thread?

I have $5 on Dude... and $10 on CG
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by TheDevilsWeakness

Now a quick idea...

Ha, I LOVE your thinking!!! I think your money's quite safe there!

Hope I don't get dunked... (oo err, that sounds kinda rude lol)
Lurker
0 likes
Hear Hear!! Couldn't agree more!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by HK4167
Being in lush for only two months, I regard myself as a newbie, and English is not my first language. So I’d like to chip in for a few words.

It really touches me to see so many regulars care about small things like this. In fact, lush forum is already one of the nicest forums I’ve ever been. That’s one of the reasons I joined lush the first place.

I know my English is not that proficient, and I make mistakes either in forum post or in my stories. In the forum post, I noticed some regulars reminded me subtly. They would repeat the correct word in a sentence in their post right below mine, but not directly pointing out my mistake. I really appreciated that for being so considerate, and for helping me to improve.

I’ve only play forum games for a month. In this month I meet some really nice people in forum, and some of them became my friends here. I’m being treated nicely in forum, so I’m returning the favor to treat other people friendly, always give a “friendly pass” instead of just “pass”, tell ladies I pass is not because you’re not attractive, it’s because you’re les and I totally respect that, small thing like that. The reason I’m doing this is because when I first joined lush, I was welcomed and treated well by many regulars like poizenivy, Etiary, Nikki703, imhapless…

I mean, the RL is already stressed enough for all of us, so why not treating each other nice here?

I wish I could write in a foreign language the way you do with English!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by TheDevilsWeakness

I waited and watched the forums for a couple of months before jumping in with the sharks.
Generally, common sense and respect prevails before I post something, but I have been known to be snarky in the past.
Sometimes I just can't help myself! But I'll try to behave since it is a great idea for a resolution.

Now a quick idea...

Am I allowed to place wagers?
Lurker
0 likes
Ha! no inside bets thank you, just keep that razor sharp wit honed

OOPS! regarding the actual Forum, some can be a little intimidating, others have me in stitches, just find your groove and have fun... my experience here has been a mostly positive experience. So, welcome all newcomers!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister
Has anyone noticed that the forum has been a little slow lately?

My Lush resolution is to see that things get back to the "good ol' times" here.

same old, same old

I'll check back in a month and see how it's going!
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Fck a bunch of this shit.

Any moron who wanders in spouting tardisms, I'm calling out.

Anyone who comes creeping back... (Carolyn/Mark/Bigguns/Rico)...I am going to sit back and giggle as the rest of you attempt to gauge that trolls authenticity.

Advice to Newbs..

Just be yourself. Read the 30 or so threads devoted to Lush newbs and forum etiquette/behavior. Then...read some more for a week or two before posting dipshittedness.

There are a lot of fartsmuckers here, we'll see through you pretty quickly.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
Fck a bunch of this shit.

Any moron who wanders in spouting tardisms, I'm calling out.

Anyone who comes creeping back... (Carolyn/Mark/Bigguns/Rico)...I am going to sit back and giggle as the rest of you attempt to gauge that trolls authenticity.

Advice to Newbs..

Just be yourself. Read the 30 or so threads devoted to Lush newbs and forum etiquette/behavior. Then...read some more for a week or two before posting dipshittedness.

There are a lot of fartsmuckers here, we'll see through you pretty quickly.

WMM why don't you market some fartsmuckers t-shirts? Could be a big hit.
Cocolicious
0 likes
Quote by MsYumm

same old, same old

I'll check back in a month and see how it's going!

not a response that's likely to make it easier for folks to be nicer but ehhh

I for one think this is a great sentiment and we all should adopt the OP's resolution. I will do my best.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by cocokisses

not a response that's likely to make it easier for folks to be nicer but ehhh

I for one think this is a great sentiment and we all should adopt the OP's resolution. I will do my best.

haha!! you should have seen the response Wellmademale made after mine, that the Mods deleted!! My post at least, says ............ I'll believe it when I see it.

Some of the "Oh, I agree" posters are just feeling guilty and sad at their bad behaviour. Wellmademale's comment was much more blunt with many expletives. Good luck to you all!! May the guilty thoughts continue you in good stead!
Lurker
0 likes
Very well said.... I have to say that since I started posting, everyone has always been nice to me.

I think one thing we need to keep in mind is that not everyone knows how to post/write emails. What they write as a joke may come across as serious to some and it can be hard to tell at times. lol, ha ha, are indicaters that we need to teach them to use as well as how to word things to help get a point across.

Just my opinion.....
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Yeah, I'm such a meanie.

Let's give no thought to what we might have posted which drew the acidic commentary to begin with.

Some people have to clean the barn on occasion.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
As a newbie (Nov 2011), I want to say that I've had a very warm and welcoming reception from everyone to date. While lurking in the chat rooms I did witness a few rogue posters and was impressed by how fast and fair the moderators chimed in to remedy the situation. I think this is a very well run forum. I admire everyone posting with English as a second language, and I empathize with those who are new to forum etiquette - I still have a lot to learn myself. I do wish more people would get acquainted with the stickies and rules as moderators go to great lengths to make the forum experience user friendly and enjoyable. I am a member in many other forums from writing to wrenching, and often avoid them because of how easily a friendly topic runs off the rails into an unrelated pool of pissing matches. So far, I've not seen that here on Lush in the topics I've participated in. On a personal note, I never thought that word games would be my first love on a sex site. Let's give a big hand for a great job!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well said, LM, I know I try to be polite and welcoming. If I don't care for someone I just don't post after them and if I feel like something needs to be addressed I will send the newbie a polite private message. It does feel cliquish when you have a handful of people posting non stop throughout the day. Some may feel I am guilty of that from time to time but I do try to be cognizant of that.
Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. "Yes" is the answer. ~Swami X