new leukemia treatment exceeding wildest hopes

last reply
4 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Constant Gardener
0 likes
And it too, is an accidental discovery. Much more research is needed, but this seems extremely promising.

Doctors had told Bill Ludwig, one of the research volunteers, that he would die from his leukemia within weeks. Then he got the experimental treatment a year ago.

With tears welling up, he told NBC, "I'm more closer to the people I love and I appreciate them more... I'm getting emotional... the grass is greener and flowers smell wonderful."

The other two patients have chosen to remain anonymous but one who happens to be a scientist himself wrote, “I am still trying to grasp the enormity of what I am a part of -- and of what the results will mean to countless others with CLL or other forms of cancer. When I was a young scientist, like many I’m sure, I dreamed that I might make a discovery that would make a difference to mankind – I never imagined I would be part of the experiment.”

So why has this remarkable treatment been tried so far on only three patients?
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Because science and medical advances are not ever based on ephemeral reports of a small number of cases.

Real advances take years of trial and error to substantiate in order to have legitimate credibility, that is why.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth
Because science and medical advances are not ever based on ephemeral reports of a small number of cases.

Real advances take years of trial and error to substantiate in order to have legitimate credibility, that is why.

I would not disagree with anything you've stated above, Gypsy...but we have to start somewhere with everything. So, let's ramp up the live subject testing.

If I had this form of leukemia...I'd be chomping at the bit to be a guinea pig. Wouldn't you? So maybe it doesn't work for me or for even 75% of the test subjects. 25% is better than zero%

It's just been announced, let's not throw cold water on the future of it.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Matriarch
0 likes
Drug trials normally go on for 10-15 years before they hit the market.

That seems an extraordinary amount of time to me.

If I were critically ill, I'd play the percentage game and take the risk, that's for sure.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
very interesting : )
Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.