Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

should i continue to write more stories?

last reply
18 replies
3.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
when i first signed up for lush, i seemed to be on a roll! every few days i'd come out with a new story. but for some reason, after a while it seemed like my stories were getting worse! i dont know why, and maybe its just me, but do youi guys think that my stories are good enough to keep writing?
Matriarch
0 likes
I think everyone is their own worse critic Sarah!

I really enjoyed your stories, "Books and Sex" was a memorable one. Your fans like you as well, you have an average story vote of over 4 which is quite an achievement.

Maybe you just need to take a break from it for a while to get refreshed, rather than try and force out stories when not in the mood?
Mr Nobody
0 likes
I find you just needs to hear a situation to get flowing

Get friend to tell you their fantasies, all my stories are bases on an
original idea from a friend
Lurker
0 likes
Sarabeara18,

I've found over time, that when ever I force myself to write my quality goes down. Either perceived or actual. Having read your stories I'll say that you write well, and perhaps you're being too hard on yourself.

I usually let my brain come up with a storyline, and then I put it down in outline. I let it rest for a while, not writing about anything close to it until it's 'cooked' for a while. Usually by the time I start to write, more ideas and form have come to me and it's easier all the way around.

I know that writers are their own worst critics most of the time. Kick back and relax, you're doing fine.wAnEwwiBS07xl1y7
Lurker
0 likes
One of the benefits of writing without demands is you write when the mood hits you. Sorta like when you see a hot redhead wearing a sparkly necklace that plunges down her cleavage and you get.....carnal ideas.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'd definitely agree w/ Curious2c...I write the same way. I've even spent years thinking up some of my ideas for stories. Once I finally am "in the mood" so to speak, everything flows really quickly and although I lack some fine tuning that more editing could allow, I feel it comes off more spontaneous and "real" when written without force.
Lurker
0 likes
I agree with what others have said. If I'm not in the mood to write and I try to force a story it doesn't work. I take time off, days or weeks, until fresh ideas come to ma and I'm ready to write again. But don't give up.
Lurker
0 likes
Sometimes I write myself into boredom, or the blahs. You may hit a flow for a while, but there are moments when you can dry up. On some of my series, I wrote them until I created a situation I didn't want to go further with. It was actually not even sexually satisfying for me to fantasize my way out of them.

Take a month off, then mount your pen again...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ASubtlepassion
Sometimes I write myself into boredom, or the blahs. You may hit a flow for a while, but there are moments when you can dry up. On some of my series, I wrote them until I created a situation I didn't want to go further with. It was actually not even sexually satisfying for me to fantasize my way out of them.

Take a month off, then mount your pen again...

Haha. Me too. I start down a path and then realize that I've painted myself into a corner and I scrap the whole idea.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The best thing to do --Take a break, get away from it, do something else. I found reading the stories helps-more ideas, different thoughts and then you say to yourself, "My writing is pretty good".

Then, you hit the stories again
0 likes
I'm not sure rebooting a 10 year-old thread helps the OP much.uPJJa6A4e8Q9g1o2

That said, I've been in a bit of a funk about my writing recently so maybe it's a sign or something.0g8lSPOThSnkqEj2
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Yeah this is a pretty random thread to resurrect.

Anyway, I think the answer is no. Stop writing.

Writing for Lush isn't a job, and it's not like you're being paid to produce work for the site. You're under no obligation, so why stress if you're not feeling up to par in your writing? Most writers go through slumps, so give it a rest, turn your attention to other interests, be patient, and let inspiration find you again whenever it does.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
if you write them I can draw them for you
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by SarahBeara18
when i first signed up for lush, i seemed to be on a roll! every few days i'd come out with a new story. but for some reason, after a while it seemed like my stories were getting worse! i dont know why, and maybe its just me, but do youi guys think that my stories are good enough to keep writing?

You get a similar number of comments per story to me - between 3 and 6. Making me think you are worth checking out.

I never much like the stories that pull in 30-40 comments of wild praise. Probably because I dont like the really hard stuff and this seems to be what is most popular on Lush.

But write when you feel the inspiration.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
First, Namaste. My two cents isn’t worth much but think on it. You are most likely not going to like my answer. But hey, I have issues with the fact that you felt the “need” to ask the general Lush society if you should continue writing. I’m too much of a coward to do that. And, you said “writing”, not “publishing” here which for me says something. Too, I’m not sure if this is just a vanity thing. So, it may not be as important as I’m taking it. Admittedly, I haven’t read you, but I’m thinking I will now. I mean, Nicola reads you!!!! That’s an excellent sign.

Having said that , your continuation depends on why you write and then why you are here. No one can really answer that for you. To answer that should give you pause and make you a little uncomfortable—as should any examination of anything of a serious personal nature. I couldn’t personally grow as a writer with just the writing goal of being posted every day. I think that has a lot to do with why you find yourself at this juncture.

Everyone asks that question at some point. It’s a good thing. Lush is great ground to flourish and grow on. Whatever your answer is as far as publishing, I hope you hang around to read and play. A true writer is going to write. Simple as that. Whether it’s read or not is inconsequential to that writer. I like to be read, undoubtedly. But too, I write because that catylist for communication and process of expression is a necessary part of me. It’s never going anywhere.

But...like...I hope you guys read me too.

Im interested in finding out what you decide. I’m nosey like that.
? A True Story ?
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Since Sarah hasn't logged in in nearly two years, I'd say she's long since lost interest, and our responses are moot.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
LOL. Next time I’ll bother to look at the dates.
Well...uhm...to who may need it.

? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
I continue to write because of the enjoyment it gives me. If a few respond to my words, it gives me hope that I have bettered my skills. I'm not gifted but, I have a sense of pride because I have grown has a writer.
Lurker
0 likes
You might be able to get nominally better by reading or studying books about writing. But if you want to get better at writing the only way to really do it is by giving and learning from criticism. The best way to do that is a college level workshop. You can try online workshops but most of them are not helpful. Online workshops tend to be a huge fluff session where everyone says only nice things about your writing because they want you to do the same thing for their writing. You need to find people who have been in workshops and understand that process. A good catique should be detailed and often longer than the piece you’ve written. It needs to take your writing apart sentence by sentence and word by word, Breaking it down to examine every little detail. A good cratique challenges you and probably pisses you off a little. It looks at the mechanics of your story and then the broader themes. Perhaps most importantly, put as much effort into critiquing other people’s writing as you do into writing your own stories. Finding the flaws in other people’s writing enables you to more easily find them in yours. Call them out for every sentence that’s clumsy. Point out every example where they tell and don't show. Challenge their character development. Rip apart their dialogue. Challenge every decision they made. Find a great workshop. Find the people in that workshop who heartlessly rip your work apart. Do them the courtesy of ripping their work apart as well. Make them your best friends and keep exchanging stories with them. I have a little experience with this process. I’m fairly positive it is the only way to improve you’re writing.