last reply
7 replies
3.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
First Person Smartass
0 likes
[CENTER][B]Basic Sentence Structure for Fiction [/B] [/CENTER]

Everything I ever learned about writing Fiction DIDN’T come from school; not even college. In fact, the way one writes fiction is almost the complete opposite of everything I learned in school about writing.

In order to make my stories crystal clear in my readers’ imaginations, I write in precise [B]Chronological Order[/B], the order events actually happen, PLUS in the order that the eye (camera) sees it. Yes, the Camera's view and the Eye's view [I]are[/I] two different things.

Case in point, when describing a character, I describe them top to bottom, in the order that the eye notices them. [I]Face, hair, upper body, arms, hands, then lower body, legs, feet, then over all impression.[/I] <-- In that order, UNLESS a body part is doing an action, such as a hand (grasping, slapping, twiddling a pencil, etc…) or the feet, (walking, jumping, kicking, running, etc…) When someone is doing an action, that action ALWAYS comes first.

Try it yourself. Go to the mall, or any other place where people gather, and LOOK at the people around you. Pay close attention to what you notice first then next. Next, watch a movie and look at how the camera pans across someone.

-- Top to bottom = friendly
-- Bottom to top = sexual
-- Hands (weapons) to top to bottom = fearful/threatened

THAT’S how it should appear on the page because THAT’S how it will appear in your readers’ imaginations.

Example:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
He flipped up his middle finger, narrowed his green eyes, and tightened his full mouth. His red hair spilled in messy finger-combed spikes across his brow and down his back. His shoulders were stiff with tension under his dirty white t-shirt. He stood with his booted feet apart and his jean-clan knees slightly bent as though braced for a punch.

And yet…
-- Writing in chronological order means that your sentence structure can't always conform to the 'proper grammar' rules. This is because the basic composition of an Essay (what they teach you to write in class), isn't anything like the composition of a Story.

Essay composition:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Tell them what you're going to tell them.
2. Tell them in detail.
3. Tell them why you told them.

Story composition:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. What happened first.
2. What happened next.
3. What happened after.

Essays are NOT written in Chronological order, they're written in order of [I][B]Impact[/B][/I].

Essay:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. This is Important!
2. These are all the reasons why it's important.
3. This is why it's important to You.

See the difference?

One of the greatest enemies of fiction that one is actually [I]taught[/I] in school is the use of the word: “as.”

[B][CENTER]The Evil “As.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~[/CENTER][/B]
In school, they teach you that ‘as’ is a word used to connect fragments of sentences together, rather in the same way as you would use “and.” Unfortunately, “as” doesn’t quite work the same way as an “and” in fiction.

-- “As” means, “things that happened simultaneously.”
-- “And” means, “this happened too.”

Events in real life DO happen simultaneously. However the written word is read one at a time. (Battle. Rain. Pain.) Even if the events happen simultaneously, the reader will always read those events --and Picture them-- in the exact order you Wrote them; one at a time. (Rain. Pain. Battle.)

'As' CAN be used to imply simultaneous events, but you have to do it at the very Beginning of the line so that the reader knows immediately that it is simultaneous.

[I]Example:[/I]
~~~~~~~~~~~~
As all the soldiers marched, the drums and fifes played.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way, any group of events listed in one sentence are generally perceived as happening all at the same time -- until you get to the "and". However, they should still be listed in the order in which they happened so as to make the reader's VISION of the whole event crystal clear.

[B]Where “As” goes WRONG… [/B]
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I consider “as” a red flag word. A word that marks that something has gone terribly wrong in your sentence structure.

[I][B]What went wrong? [/B][/I]
-- In fiction, the word “as” usually marks where a sentence has gone out of Chronological Order.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
The vampire scratched his head thoughtfully [B]as[/B] he crouched over his victim.

Think: Which actions actually happened first?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. The vampire crouched over his victim.
2. He scratched his head thoughtfully.

The chronological way to write this would be:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The vampire crouched over his victim AND scratched his head thoughtfully.

[B]Why does this matter?[/B]
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A sentence Out of Chronological Order means that the reader has to Stop Reading to reset their mental movie of your story. That’s [I]bad[/I], very, very, [B]BAD[/B]. Do this enough times and your reader will stop reading your story to go find something easier to imagine. In fact, some readers will not only drop your story, never to read it again, they’ll avoid [I]anything[/I] else you write.

[B]How to Grammar Check for “as”: [/B]
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do a Search/Replace substituting “as” for “and,” then go back and read through your entire work. If “and” doesn’t fit right in your sentence, then it’s most likely Out of Chronological Order.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
The werewolf flattened his ears angrily as he faced the hunter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

[I]Search/Replace: [/I]
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The werewolf flattened his ears angrily and he faced the hunter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

“And” doesn’t quite work there, does it? Why not? Because the werewolf didn’t flatten his ears before he faced the hunter.

Which actions actually happened first?
~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. The werewolf faced the hunter.
2. He was angry.
2. He flattened his ears.

[I]Adjusted:[/I]
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The werewolf faced the hunter and he angrily flattened his ears.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now the “he” doesn’t fit, so let’s chop that out.

[I]One more time:[/I]
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The werewolf faced the hunter and angrily flattened his ears.
~~~~~~~~~~~

See what I mean?

[B][CENTER]Rule of Thumb on the use of “AND”:[/CENTER][/B]

[B]One “and” per sentence. [/B]
~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you need a second “and,” pull out the first one and use a comma, or use “then.”

[I]Example with comma:[/I]
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The werewolf faced the hunter, angrily flattened his ears, and growled.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

[I]Example with “then”:[/I]
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The werewolf faced the hunter, angrily flattened his ears, then growled.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you need [I]three[/I] “ands,” replace all but the last with commas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
The werewolf faced the hunter, angrily flattened his ears, growled, and lunged.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you need [I]more than three[/I] “ands,” then it’s time to cut that sentence into two separate sentences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
The werewolf faced the hunter, angrily flattened his ears, and growled. He lunged and snapped.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

[B][I]In Conclusion…[/I][/B]
-- Fiction should ALWAYS be written in Chronological Order, even when the grammar rules say that you don’t have to for your Readers' Visual Clarity. Believe me, they'll appreciate it!

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DISCLAIMER: As with all advice, take what you can use and throw out the rest. As a multi-published author, I have been taught some fairly rigid rules on what is publishable and what is not. If my rather straight-laced (and occasionally snotty,) advice does not suit your creative style, by all means, IGNORE IT.
Morgan Hawke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purveyor of fine Smut.
Morgan Hawke's DarkErotica ~ My Website
DarkErotica Blog ~ My Writers' blog

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Albert Einstein
0 likes
Great advice and nicely presented.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The evil "As"

Looks like I've got some work to do on my stories. I searched for as and found a number of issues. There is always something to work on.
Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
First Person Smartass
0 likes
Quote by Jillicious
The evil "As" -- Looks like I've got some work to do on my stories. I searched for as and found a number of issues. There is always something to work on.

LOL! There's always something new to learn, and old to correct. I've been writing professionally since 1980 and I still learn new things almost every day.
Morgan Hawke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purveyor of fine Smut.
Morgan Hawke's DarkErotica ~ My Website
DarkErotica Blog ~ My Writers' blog

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Albert Einstein
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Great advice, and surprising in that it does go against what I learned in school.