last reply
120 replies
9.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Hi everyone,
I was just thinking (I have a little time for myself this week) about my memories of Sunday dinner at grandma's house.
Grandma made wonderful food for our family. she was dedicated to her craft and since her passing 18 years ago have not been duplicated to that degree. (GOD KNOWS I'VE TRIED)!

My question is what are your favorite comfort foods? Do they hold any special memories for you? ()I'm not asking for necessarily your favorite foods) but rather special dishes that maybe take you back to a better time and make you feel warm inside.fWdpcb2cFLZDRqWw
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
At my house, it was sunday brunch. My mom always made crepes. If you don't know, a crepe is a really thin pancake that you roll up like a burrito and put stuff in it. She used to make breakfast crepes with eggs and cheese and ham, but she also made dessert crepes with fruit and whipped cream. She'd make the crepes, my dad made the eggs, I used to make the toast (i was little) my brother and sister made bacon and porkroll, my grandma made cheese cake. Very fattening, but it was a great time in my life.
Lurker
0 likes
Fresh bread, a thick cut, slathered in butter and freezer jam!

Both grandma and mom made fresh bread and had a hard time keeping us out of it.
Lurker
0 likes
Mine is holiday food. Doesn't matter which one. When I was little and both parents alive mom always tried to make every holiday special and family time. There was only the 3 of us. Once in a great while we'd go to grandmas with all the realatives but,it was never as good as the "just us" times.
Ham, candied yams, cole slaw and hot rolls at Easter. Turkey and all the trimmings for Thanksgiving. 4th of July hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill with Mac salad and potato salad and baked beans. Christmas, man, all the homemade cookies and cakes and waldorf salad, endless friends coming over for a holiday drink. Everyone used to dress up for that one. Even if you were only going next door, the ladies put on skirts or dresses and the men at least a tie, nice shirts and pants.

I try to do it to this day with my husband and I. And we're not even religious! But reminds us both of childhood happy things. Family, smiles, hugs.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sausage roll with ketchup, coke, and a snickers too if the blood sugar level is too low. Hungover comfort food, yum!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Spam burgers
Popcorn with chocolate stars and rootbeer
Grandma's baked beans
And now my sweeties chocolate roll
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
I dont really have a comfort food......except when I am sick. Vegetable soup, you know with the little abc noodles in it.....it makes me feel better everytime!
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Lurker
0 likes
What's a sausage roll?
Lurker
0 likes
Yes, chocolate would fix all. Especially if I was nibbling or otherwise consuming it off of you.....I think all my stresses, concerns, frustrations, headaches, aches and fears would dissapate while enjoying you in chocolate.

Not to worry, I would find means to share it with you.
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
I think Chase is hitting on you Tech....LOL
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Lurker
0 likes
My favorite comfort food attached to a memory would be my sister and I making pizza from a kit when we were young. We'd use the cheap Appian Way pizza kits, where you would roll the dough out, open the little can of sauce and pour it, and sprinkle the tiny bag of powdered cheese. Tasted bad, but we didn't care because we were kids.
Now my grown kids and I make homemade pizza and have a blast.
Sassy Red-haired Beach Kat/Dune Goddess
0 likes
Quote by Pixie
I think Chase is hitting on you Tech....LOL

Only because he doesn't know that I am stingy with my chocolate. I was branded way back in Kindergarten..."Intelligent girl, but doesn't share well."

Please enjoy my current story competition entry:

Alisha Unleashed

And the final part of Book 3 of Mac and Grace's story:

In a New York Minute - Part Twenty-Nine - Chapters 111-114

Lurker
0 likes
I did not say you had to share yours...I said I was willing to share, given the audience.

How can one think to deny anything to someone staring at you with that avatar! (Ok, maybe it went beyond actual "thought" functions....)
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Im thinking that Tech is like "Joey" off of friends........Joey doesnt share food!! LMAO! Anyone ever see that episode? LOL
0 likes
Quote by Pixie
Im thinking that Tech is like "Joey" off of friends........Joey doesnt share food!! LMAO! Anyone ever see that episode? LOL

LOL...actually I don't have a problem sharing my food....just my chocolate!

Alisha Unleashed

Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Stingy eh'? LOL I think I would share my chocolate, but only if there was a great reward in return! LOL
Lurker
0 likes

I can honestly say that I am one of the few people on the planet that has never watched a Friends episode all the way through. I watched a half of one once. Same with Seinfield and American Idol and Lost, and Dancing with the Stars and what was the one where they had to "fake" survive on an island somewhere?
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Rocco is so charming, I think any of us ladies would share with him! LOL
Lurker
0 likes
You dolls are way too kind. Thank you.

I'm like you, Chef, when it comes to network television. I never watched a whole Friends or Seinfeld. It's not that funny!
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
You dolls are way too kind. Thank you.

I'm like you, Chef, when it comes to network television. I never watched a whole Friends or Seinfeld. It's not that funny!

Forget TV, Rocco.....come share my chocolate...mmmmm
[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/techgoddess_TG/chocolate.gif[/IMG]

Alisha Unleashed

Lurker
0 likes
Like Chase, Fresh homemade bread, hot out of the oven, slathered with butter. *sigh*

Mom, Grandma, and Great Grandma all made wonderful bread like that. I started to bake bread years ago... though I've never gotten it down like Mom and grandmoms did.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
What's a sausage roll?

Call yourself a chef?

Looks pretty foul, but it's stodgy and filling, and keeps heat well, so it warms you up and keep you warm:

Lurker
0 likes
Well, I'll be darned. Is it like pigs in a blanket then? I'd try it. As long as I had some ketchup. I eat a lot of ketchup. Well, condiments period.
Lurker
0 likes
Eww, that's gross. LOL