Commonly Confused Words

last reply
168 replies
21.0k views
0 watchers
8 likes
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
We are compiling a list of words that are often mistaken for one another in writing. Each pair or group has its own forum thread, with links provided below. This list is in alphabetical order, and word pairs that begin with different letters may be listed twice. It will be updated as more threads are added.

These are some of the most troublesome sets. For a fairly comprehensive list of sound-alike words, see Alan Cooper's Homonym List, and for a compilation of myriad mistakes often made in English usage, visit Paul Brians' Common Errors in English Usage.

Areola - Aureole

Because - Cause

Click - Clique

Complement - Compliment

Discreet - Discrete

Further - Farther

Elicit - Illicit

Faze - Phase

Illicit - Elicit

Loose - Lose

Peak - Pique

Phase - Faze

Shutter - Shudder

Their - There - They're

Throes - Throws

To - Too - Two

Your - You're
Maggie R
Lurker
0 likes
Lose - Loose
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by Loislane
Lose - Loose

Yes! That is a pet peeve of mine. We just haven't gotten to doing the entry yet. Care to do the honors, Lois?
Maggie R
Matriarch
0 likes
Chose - Choose
Then - Than
Lurker
0 likes
ZhiBike is the product [URL=]Bike Trials[/URL] of [URL=]Bike Trial Seller[/URL] our sales agents, there are a variety of the latest style in 2009, including Forks, Stems, Bashrings, [URL=]Bike Store[/URL] Cranks(158m), Cranks(170m), Handlebars, Hub(Front,Disc), [URL=]Bike Shop[/URL] Frames(20), Frames(26) and more. Welcome to our web site
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Not really a pair, but the misuse of "myself" when "me" is correct runs rampant in the world. The easy way I remember the correct way to use either one is this: mentally strip away everything but the subject and the verb and use "myself" and then "me" in the sentence or phrase in question - usually the absurdity of the "myself" usage punches you in the nose.

Example from a story on Lush (not picking on anyone, there's plenty everywhere...):

"This story was co-written by X and myself....

That is an incorrect usage of "myself". Most people only get into this pickle when they use "myself" in this kind of tandem pairing - "X and myself".

Strip it down to this: "This story was written by myself" - that should immediately just sound and look wrong to you. The story was written by me.

Try it and see if it helps!

Best of all would be to throw the passive voice under the bus and write it this way: X and I wrote this story. Shorter. Punchier.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Fugly and sexy seems to get confusing for some

seriously, there, they're and their
off and of
some and sum
or my favorite, desert and dessert

Fugs xoxoxo
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I agree - eating dessert in the desert is great!

And re my immediate prior post - best of all would be to throw the passive voice under the bus and write it this way: X and I wrote this story. Shorter. Punchier.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Maybe Lush could start a competition for a story in which you must correctly use all of the listed commonly misused words AND make it hot...grammarians around the world would have an excuse to get off again, and again, and again.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Pail - Pale

and not the whitish color. The frequent misuse is in the phrase "beyond the pale" (correct) - "beyond the pail" (incorrect - that's just the other side of a bucket).
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal
Quote by Loislane
Lose - Loose

Yes! That is a pet peeve of mine. We just haven't gotten to doing the entry yet. Care to do the honors, Lois?

I sussed that mix up as a tv show, chat and flirtying called Loose Women, wheever I think argh which one is it, I think of the tv show Loose women LOL
Lurker
0 likes
Where and Were drive me crazy all the time!!!!
Lurker
0 likes
So, is the tv show called Loose Women? Is there one called "Lose Women?" hellllllp!

Your and you're -- seems that "your" minus the apostrophe is ubiquitous these days.

And, though and although.
Lurker
0 likes
I just read a word I've never heard.

"mephitic" Adjective: (esp. of a gas or vapor) Foul-smelling; noxious. It's not on Lush, it's on another site and the author is using clinic terms for every body part and function. It's a tad jarring, "meatus," "emission," "frenulum," so on. I like to use some of those words but all and only them is jarring. Funny.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
You're / Your
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll find a few minutes to update the list...someday!
Maggie R
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
grisly/grizzly
obtuse/abstruse
to/too
we're/were
bare/bear - it always makes me giggle when i see "please bare with us"
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Bought - Brought

Learn - Teach -

I've heard "I'll learn you about it" many times, it drives me crazy !

(Oh, and I forgot to add - the person above me - of course I would !! x)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Flout / Flaunt

This one was misused on the Egypt news coverage just last night on NBC.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
And that perennially troublesome threesome (wait...sounds like fun!) -

Lying - Laying - Lieing
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm not sure if this qualifies or not, but I've seen this odd phonetic swap quite a few times:

wants/once

Also:

quiet/quite comes to mind if it hasn't already been mentioned.
The reviews are in. Here's what people are saying about FicklePickleTickle:
"BestCukeOnTheVine" - LusciousLola.
"Pickle juice rocks!" - curiousbutterfly.
"Pickles is really a jalapeño" - sw33tang3l
"Will someone make that guy sit down, my kids can't see the movie?!?" - Some guy in at the theater.
"Shouldn't he be wearing clothes if he's going to be in the wedding?" - Your mom.
"If FTP Eats A Pickle, Is That Cannibalism? " Nikki703
"FTP makes me wet. . ." - imhapless.
"Always thought he was dill but he's actually a sweet pickle." - kinkygirl.
Lurker
0 likes
It's amazing how many of my students write layed when they mean lay or lain. Then the look on their faces when I tell them 'layed' doesn't even exist.
Lurker
0 likes
Born and borne is one I see a lot. Oh allot and a lot - there's another one! Ha ha
Lurker
0 likes
Censored and censured

Practice and practise
Lurker
0 likes
Present or Presant ha ha

sentance or sentence LOL
Lurker
0 likes
Calf - Calve
Lurker