1 line cooking tips

last reply
110 replies
7.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
Pasta - boil with salt, not oil, oil makes the pasta gluggy.
Matriarch
0 likes
Buy a rice cooker. Rinse the rice at least 3-4 times to wash the starch off before cooking.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Buy a rice cooker. Rinse the rice at least 3-4 times to wash the starch off before cooking.

Yes! When I was in Malaysia I asked somebody to teach me how to make really good rice. They looked at me like I was crazy and switched on their rice cooker. Apparently people don't use their pots any more.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
coconut rice - use creamed coconut instead of coconut milk, especially when using brown rice.
Lurker
0 likes
Don't stir chocolate when you are melting it for a recipe..It goes all chunky
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
to season meat-salt-pepper-garlic
Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Bachelor Stew - toss all ingredients and seasonings in your cupboard into one large pot and douse with two gallons of distilled water. Bring to boil then adjust to simmer. Drink and serve ice cold beer all day long and then dole out the mushy meatless stew after everyone is thoroughly soused. Makes about one serving more, per person, than anyone will want to ingest. Great for those occasions where you don't wish to make a good impression.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Pasta - salt, not oil, oil makes the pasta gluggy.

Gluggy. A real culinary term.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Onomatopoeic - words that sound like the meaning
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
Quote by nicola
Pasta - salt, not oil, oil makes the pasta gluggy.

Gluggy. A real culinary term.

It's obviously one of those Australian terms we all love to hear pronounced.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Never ever slow cook anything with merlot(shudders)
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by Loislane
Never ever slow cook anything with merlot(shudders)

LMAO, that's the best time to cook - anything, Lois smile
Lurker
0 likes
he he ..yeah drink it,just don't cook with it...I like the Floyd way of doing cooking...A glass for me ,a glug in the food, another huge ass glass for me...a glug in the food
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Loislane
he he ..yeah drink it,just don't cook with it...I like the Floyd way of doing cooking...A glass for me ,a glug in the food, another huge ass glass for me...a glug in the food

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how to be a chef. You're not supposed to tell all of our secrets Lois.AEWdkAV2uugoyzg7
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Don't watch the extended version of Fellowship of the Ring whilst cooking potatoes.
If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill
Matriarch
0 likes
You know you really look like Sean Bean in that avatar Reprehensiballs. I'm sure I've mentioned it before.

Tip: do not turn steaks over and over on the bbq, it dries them out. Turn only once when nearly cooked through.
Matriarch
0 likes
Do not prick sausages, all the juice and flavour runs out. They will not split if you cook them slowly. Never buy any which has "meat" as the main ingredient listed

Where are your tips smarty pants chef?
Lurker
0 likes
Let the steaks come up to temperature before putting on the grill so that they don't stick. About 30/45 minutes.
Lurker
0 likes
Mushrooms are not sponges. Go ahead and wash them.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
When in doubt, wash it out. And add alcohol - lots of it.
Lurker
0 likes
sear your meat
Lurker
0 likes
salt meat BEFORE you cook it.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Freshness is key.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Never fry bacon in the nude.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
don't whip potatoes to much -they'll turn to glue
Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Lurker
0 likes
fry mushrooms in a dry pan ...stirring regularly ...add a knob of butter at the end
Lurker
0 likes
Steak on Barbecue; Marinate meat in seasoned olive oil for about 2 hours - throw of fire, allowing flames to cook meat for about 3 minutes turning only once (medium, to rare)
Lurker
0 likes
Use a box grater to grate frozen butter into biscuit (I don't mean cookies) dough. This helps them turn out really light and fluffy.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MrNudiePants
Never fry bacon in the nude.

Ouch!